Roger opens with ease

24.05.2010 | Tennis

Roger began his defence of the title at the French Open with a comfortable 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 win over Peter Luczak (ATP 71) today.

"It's always important coming back as defending champion trying to get off to a good start," Roger said. "It was like a perfect match to get off the French Open campaign, really."

Our champ rarely looked troubled on court Philippe Chatrier as he wrapped up the first set and secured breaks in the fourth and sixth games of the second as his opponent was less and less able to hold up the pace. Two more breaks followed in the fifth and seventh games of the third set.

Roger delighted the crowd with a last razor-sharp backhand to wrap up the match after 1h 48. This is only the second time in nine years that Roger arrived in Paris without a title during the clay season. But he showed no signs of vulnerability at all today.

Next up for Roger is Columbia's Alejandro Falla.

05/27/2010 | 12:31 PM
Congrats Roger,

You played a great match. An easy win over Luczak but it seems as though your form has come back at the right time.

Good luck in your next match and make it your 17th Grand Slam. C'mon champ, I know you can win!!!
05/26/2010 | 05:06 PM
Dear Roger
Congratulations!! I've just come into my house at the end of the third set!! I've seen 3 last games! It was nice, really. I'm angry with our commentators on Eurosport, they didn't wait to see you signing into camera and smiling! But I hope I'l
05/26/2010 | 04:59 PM
i watched that match and i felt sorry for Luczak. But ur match against Falla was B E A UTIFUL!!!!!!!!
05/26/2010 | 04:53 PM
Boting,
Yukimi
05/26/2010 | 04:46 PM
Congratulations Roger!

Go for the title! Yes Kukimi*** Roger is young and experienced. He Can Do it

Best for all Roger fans
05/26/2010 | 04:40 PM
Hey Roger.

I just watched ur match against Falla and its was great match to match how u dalt the lefty shots and its was so cool to see u come up these Amazing passin shots, they were terrific Champ:) well done. good luck ur next match:)
05/26/2010 | 04:40 PM
Hey Roger.

05/26/2010 | 04:27 PM
very nicely done with uncountable many amazing shots,very many special ones too.and despite the errors it was a very nice win.the rain delays did not make it easier but it was very nicely done Roger.congratulate.
05/26/2010 | 04:27 PM
So, still four to go good luck Fed
05/26/2010 | 04:11 PM