Ninth title in 2005

21.08.2005 | Tennis

Roger made his return to the court a triumphant one, defeating Andy Roddick in straight sets to capture the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters title outside Cincinnati. Roger earned a 6-3, 7-5 victory on Sunday at the Lindner Family Tennis Center for his ninth title of 2005 and became the first player to claim four Masters Series wins in a single season. He now has an 18-match winning streak dating back to a French Open semifinal loss to Rafael Nadal.

"I got to get away from these people from the Tour [players, media and photographers]," Roger quipped about his six-week layoff. "It was good to be away, but it's very nice to be back." He improved to 10-1 lifetime against Roddick and has a match record this year of an incredible 64-3. He has won his last 22 singles finals since losing to Jiri Novak in the 2003 Gstaad title match.

In addition, Roger is also 29-1 in ATP Masters Series events this year, with his only loss coming to Frenchman Richard Gasquet in the quarterfinals at Monte Carlo, and he improved to 38-1 on the hardcourts in 2005. His last loss on a hardcourt came back in January when he was defeated by big Russian Marat Safin in the Australian Open semifinals.

It all adds up to Roger heading into the U.S. Open a week from Monday as the overwhelming favorite. Go Roger!

08/25/2005 | 03:41 AM
Congratulations on your winning the Cincinnati title and welcome back!! You are back and life is back to tennis. I missed you very much but I do understand that you needed the break for 6 weeks. You did the right thing. Hope your feet are fully recove
08/24/2005 | 10:58 PM
Dearest FEDGI,

My congrats may come a bit late, O.K., here we go : C..O..N..G..R..A..T..U..L..A..T..I..O..N..S.....!!!!

I knew the minute u show up at the Cincy final, it's already marked "VICTORY". It's so good to see u got ur confidence back soli
08/24/2005 | 04:06 PM
congrats rogy!
i knew you would beat roddick easily and with grace too. good luck at the us open!
love meera
08/24/2005 | 06:08 AM
Well done Rog!....keep this flame burning 4 the U.S.Open!!!
08/24/2005 | 05:15 AM
We knew you could do it Roger! Good Luck for the US Open!!

We luv u in Singapore!
08/24/2005 | 03:12 AM
OOOPS!! I've forgot to say one thing: Roger you're a TENNIS GENIUS!!! Your talent is incredible, I think you're the player most technical and strong of all time!! Nobody like you!!!Come on Roger!!!
08/24/2005 | 03:06 AM
WOW!!! Roger you're a very champion!! I was sure you defeated Roddick, 'cause your tennis is something of magic!! Now you'll prepare to play and (I hope) win the US OPEN, the last slam of the year; I'll continue always to follow you, 'cause only your fan
08/24/2005 | 02:56 AM
Congratulations !!!!
Next...US Open 2005 Champion ;-)
08/23/2005 | 11:00 PM
Awesome Roger!
Non-stop, all the way to the US. Open Championships!
08/23/2005 | 10:17 PM
Go Roger!!! NYC is waiting for you. By the way, this newwebsite is more alive than the old one, i like it.

God bless you!