Roger in round three

03.09.2005 | Tennis

Roger came through a tough test at the US Open, beating wily Frenchman Fabrice Santoro 7-5 7-5 7-6 to reach the third round.

Santoro had Roger rattled and irritable at times with a dazzling array of shot-making, but the Swiss world No.1 found his best tennis when it mattered to advance to a meeting with Olivier Rochus, the 27th seed from Belgium. "I had a blast out there today," Roger said. "Rarely the crowd gets into a match like they did tonight. The way he plays, the way I play, I knew it could be a great one."

Roger looked on course for a comfortable victory when he stormed to a 5-1 lead but Santoro, the world No.76, broke back twice and Roger needed a third break, in the 12th game, to clinch the set. Roger then saved three break points in the seventh game of the second set before again breaking to win it, and then played a stunning tiebreak in the third, winning it 7-2 and ending up with an incredible 73 winners on the night. "I could have closed it out earlier, but he played good tennis," Roger said. "The conditions were tough tonight, it was quite windy and it was tough to get it past him, particularly when he was coming to the net.

09/05/2005 | 10:38 PM
you should play more matches like that!
09/05/2005 | 06:58 AM
Congradualtions the genious...
cb
09/05/2005 | 06:51 AM
What a wonderful match between you and Rochus this morning.

Congratulations to yet another win !

Good luck, Roger and keep winning.

I look forward to seeing you holding the trophy at the finals.

Your adoring fan,
Lynn
09/05/2005 | 06:04 AM
MAJESTIC

Oliver is going to his home, only can to say you,
thanks, there isn't any word that i can to use for so much talent, so much gift, so much br
09/05/2005 | 05:54 AM
Hello Roger! What a fun and entertaining match! I told you earlier in the year I plan to watch you LIVE at the US Open, and I was fortunate enough to get courtside seats to see you play Fabrice!!! What a great match, and it was also a lot of fun too to se
09/05/2005 | 05:17 AM
roger
you looked happy & relax when play against Olivier..you said that he is best friend of you in the on-court interview..hope next time you two play in the later stage..
Good Luck.......
09/05/2005 | 04:50 AM
Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You were perfect. It was a very good match,Oliver were so good.
But obious You are better.
I saw your mother, she looked so happy.
Well, take a little rest and keep in your way.
Support and love
Cecilia and family
09/05/2005 | 02:33 AM
Hi Roger!!

To be honest, i got a bit concerned during the match about your form. Too many unforced errors and during the first games many unsuccessful passing shots.
On the other hand, u showed unique quality at the important parts of the game and tha
09/05/2005 | 01:05 AM
Bravo Roger je ne t'en veux pas d'avoir battu Fabrice car c'etait un tres beau match et vous voir sourir comme vous l'avez fait pendant la partie est un plaisir ! bonne continuation !
09/04/2005 | 10:43 PM
Ohhh mann!! what an awesome match, I had a blast too. Fabrice is always nice to watch, he is a master of the effects and plays very different from anyone I've ever seen, he is definitely one of my favourites. You know after this kind of matches is when on