Roger in the final against Agassi

11.09.2005 | Tennis

Roger and Andre Agassi set up a dream final to the US Open by winning their semi-finals. Roger scored a ninth straight win over Australia's Lleyton Hewitt 6-3, 7-6 (7/0), 4-6, 6-3.

His victory was tougher than the scoreline indicates. Hewitt finally took a set after losing 17 straight, and the match might have turned out differently if the Australian hadn’t blown five set points in the second. It was only the second time Roger dropped a set at the Open, and the three-hour match equaled his longest of the tournament. “This match could have gone either way,” he said. “I’m happy I came through on top because this was a difficult match.”

Andre Agassi, the oldest man in the tournament, posted a five-set victory against compatriot Robby Ginepri, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3. The two have met ten times since 1998 with Roger leading 7-3, winning the last seven in a row. “I expect a tough match,” Roger said. “He always makes the opponent run. I’m ready to run, defend myself and play aggressive when I have the chance.”

Playing in his 20th straight US Open, Agassi is seeking a third US Open title after 1994 and 1999. Agassi says: “Most people have weaknesses and most people have only one great shot, but Federer doesn’t have weaknesses and has a few great shots. So that equates to a problem “He’s earned that respect. That means you go out in the match and you address it with urgency and you have to play well. He’s not the first guy to make you feel that way, but he is certainly the guy that is doing it better than anybody now.”

01/25/2009 | 01:00 PM
wa..
perhaps this is the first article in your web
fantastic!!
in that time,you really are young
haha..
but now,you still are young in our heart
09/12/2005 | 12:14 AM
Dear Roger,
Good Luck , I know You will Win. You have thee power and the determination, and we are here to support you. Stay positive, remain calm, you will win! We all love you in Singapore .
09/11/2005 | 10:37 PM
Best of luck in the Final.

Go and make another record Roger!
09/11/2005 | 10:24 PM
I'm just waiting for NFL to end so I can watch you win the US Open. God bless you and Andre both. I'm eagerly awaiting an incredible next few hours!
Gina
09/11/2005 | 10:23 PM
Congratulation on your win ober Hewitt. Your final with Agassi will start in any minutes. We will watch from TV and cheer your every point as usual. You know how to defeat Agassi. Hope you play like very final that you did before and go and get that t
09/11/2005 | 10:18 PM
Well done Roger - you toughed out a really difficult match and won. Hewitt played differently than usual - playing far more aggressively, but you were up to the challenge like the champion that you are. All the best for the final against Agassi. Andre
09/11/2005 | 09:53 PM
Congratulations in being in yet another FINAL!
I so adore your stamina and excellence...you are a wonderful person. I am glad that you beat Hewitt in such a tough match. Good luck today against Agassi...I know you will do you absolute BEST!!!

Love
09/11/2005 | 08:18 PM
Nice match Roger! But try not to wait for Agassi's mistakes like you did a couple of times against Hewitt. Make sure you force Agassi to comitt the mistakes, do not wait for them to appear, because they won't.
I trust you this Sunday and I know you will
09/11/2005 | 08:14 PM
Super Roger!!! Another Final!!! You're incredible champ!!! I'm exciting for the final, and I'm sure you'll show your magic tennis!!! Nobody can defeat your magic game, so I'm sure you'll defeat Agassi and you'll became for the second time the champion of
09/11/2005 | 08:12 PM