Second US Open title!

12.09.2005 | Tennis

Roger has done it! He captured a second straight U.S. Open and sixth Grand Slam title against Andre Agassi this Sunday.

Roger responded to his few moments of pressure by reeling off seven straight points in the tiebreak that turned the match around, then took a clear lead in the fourth set to win 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (1), 6-1, bringing his stunning record in finals to 23-0.

Roger moved into a tie with Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker for Grand Slam titles among Open era players, and one behind John McEnroe and Mats Wilander. Pete Sampras holds the record with 14 Grand Slam titles, but at 24 years old Roger could well have a shot at that.

Roger shrieked and leapt in the air when Agassi's backhand return looped long on the championship point. The two men, who have the highest of respect for each other, shook hands warmly at the net. Though the 35-year-old Agassi was the oldest U.S. Open men's finalist in 31 years, age had less to do with the difference in this match than Roger's sheer strength, variety of serves, and superior balance of attacks from the baseline and the net that wore down Agassi.

If this was Agassi's last U.S. Open after 20 straight— he won't decide until the end of the year whether to retire — it was remarkable even in defeat. "It's been a tough road, but it's been a great road," Agassi told the cheering crowd. "Roger played way too good today. Congratulations Roger, well done."

Roger became the first man in the Open era, which started in 1968, to win Wimbledon and the U.S. Open back-to-back for the second consecutive year. Three players have done it twice, though not in consecutive years: Jimmy Connors, McEnroe and Sampras. The last player to accomplish the feat was Don Budge in 1937-38.

"This is probably the most special Grand Slam final in my career," Roger said. "To play against Andre in New York, it's a dream. "I had to play my best match of the tournament. It happened I played my best in the finals, as usual. I don't know how I do it, but it definitely feels great every single time."

11/18/2011 | 03:01 PM
I didn't saw your match live but in the highlights I saw you playing.You played
fabulous.
09/29/2005 | 04:57 AM
Roger, you were marvelous in your match against Agassi. I was impressed with how you closed out the match in the fourth set. It was incredible to watch you play at Flushing Meadows. Very well done.
09/27/2005 | 11:47 PM
It was such an enjoyable to watch your match. You'll be always the best for the rest of history. A determined person like you won't need any luck.
09/27/2005 | 04:54 AM
Roger.Melody is sending her late congratulatio ns.You are excellent.Good luck in Shanghai.Waiting for you.
09/24/2005 | 06:22 PM
Hi
This is quite unusual happening in the game of tennis or any other form of games that are being played around the world. I was not a big fan of tennis, but I always read the news and I had to become a fan of this guy named "Roger Federer".

Can't b
09/23/2005 | 10:11 PM
I knowed you would win!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09/21/2005 | 03:59 PM
Congratiolation Roger your play was realy nice to see !I watch your match at midthnight because we have different time in Slovenija but I could not sleep because I know that you are playing!You look perfect !I wish to you all good in next matches...!!!Hav
09/21/2005 | 01:57 AM
Zaboga miloga sta uradi Agasiju. Cak se i Stefi preznoila u toku taj brejka. Fedi je jednostavno nepobediv u velikim mecevima. RODJEN DA POBEDI. Svaka cast.
09/21/2005 | 01:50 AM
What a Final and wath a game. Fedi play like MONSTER. From now on I belive that Rogi will be a player that wrold has ever so and Im a happy man to be a witness of his greatniece. Thank you ROGER.
09/20/2005 | 12:43 PM
The point is you've play a great and various tennis but your mind is solid as a rock, I can see from your eyes you feel some points of the match must be won and you win them, always !! 7-0 tiebrak against Hewitt and 7-1 vs Agassi tell what I mean. Geniali