Switzerland eliminate Great Britain

25.09.2005 | Tennis

Switzerland retained their place in the Davis Cup's elite 16-nation World Group on Saturday after winning their play-off against Britain. Roger combined with regular partner Yves Allegro in Saturday's doubles rubber to see off Greg Rusedski and Andy Murray 7-5 2-6 7-6 6-2. The result left Britain trailing Switzerland 3-0 with just two reverse singles rubbers left to play on Sunday. And those merely only had statistical character: George Bastl only left David Sherwood with three games (6:3, 6:0), Wawrinka secured the flawless 5:0 Swiss victory with a 7:5, 7:6 (7:5) against Mackin.

"This is magnificent -- it's been a very special weekend," said Roger. "It's been a long time since I played in Switzerland and it gives me a lot of pleasure to play in front of my home fans."

09/28/2005 | 08:45 AM
Hey Roger,

Great man,
Would love to see you in more of these doubles events too. I think you need to be number one in that too.
Just to ensure that people donot loose interest in the doubles tournaments...people saw what happened in the US Open. Ther
09/27/2005 | 08:33 PM
Congratulations Switzerland! Well done Swiss team!

frida
09/27/2005 | 02:45 PM
that was really a cool match.u were awesome and really it looked like u hypnotised the ball to move as u told it to.
09/26/2005 | 10:54 PM
Well played Roger and thankyou ever so much for the autographs. Sorry we didn't put up much of a fight although I felt we applied a bit of pressure in the doubles. What was Greg complaining about in the doubles? What were your feelings on the support and
09/26/2005 | 09:34 PM
YOU ARE THE PERFECTION FOR THE TENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09/26/2005 | 07:11 PM
felicitaciones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ojala que puedas jugar la copa davis con argentina alguna vez, asi tenemos la oprtunidad de verte jugar en argentina!!!!!!!! gracias por jugar al tenis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

analia
09/26/2005 | 06:56 PM
For God Sake!!
I knew there was no point for the match even to be played coz Federer is the best in the world and completely kicked the crapp out of Murray and Redseski... single handed!
09/26/2005 | 04:31 PM
I had no doubt about your victory. Congratulations to you and your team and to the Swiss fans. Today I'm glad for you and sad for my country. But I have faith I will see Argentina win a Davis Cup before I die.
09/26/2005 | 03:13 PM
Congrats to Rogi and Switzerland. It's too bad I didn't get to see the match. But of course, I know you played awesome.
09/26/2005 | 03:10 PM
Congrats to Rogi and Switzerland. Outstanding tennis as always Roger!