Roger in the semis in Shanghai

15.11.2005 | Tennis

Roger won his second match today and secured his semifinal spot at the Tennis Masters Cup.

Roger, the two-time defending champion, is the only top-five player left in the event. He held on for a 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (4) victory over sixth-seeded Ivan Ljubicic to extend his winning streak to 33 matches.

Roger is playing with a heavy black brace on his right ankle and said he was more concerned about his stamina than his aching joint after a six-week layoff. He had some treatment from a physiotherapist at a change of ends in the third set, but it was only a precaution.

"I never doubted I was going to finish the match," he said. "`I'm not 100 percent — that's obvious — it's been six weeks without a match and only one week being able to run properly. I came here not knowing if I'd be able to play — I thought I was the worst injured. I can play a normal tournament without having to do crazy things like take injections."

Roger secured a semifinal spot at the season-ending event when Guillermo Coria, who at No. 6 has the next-highest ranking in the tournament, lost 7-5, 6-4 to fellow Argentine David Nalbandian in Tuesday's later Red Group match. Roger and Coria, 0-2 at Shanghai, will play Thursday.

Ljubicic said "he's not struggling — he's just not in top shape," and thought he was outplayed in the first set but not in the remainder. "Today I felt like, for the first time I was the best player on the court. I feel really upset because I thought I deserved this one."

Expectations on Roger are usually high, but the scale took on a new dimension after second-ranked Rafael Nadal and No. 5 Andre Agassi withdrew within an hour of each other Monday with injuries.

11/21/2005 | 03:04 AM
hola roger:
quiero felicitarte por tu gran actuacion en la copa masters,tu eres el mejor y lo sabes pero eres muy humide y no te gusta creerte mas que los demas.
continua asi que nadie te vencera, porque todo lo que te propones lo logras.
espero conoc
11/17/2005 | 04:00 PM
Congratulation!! Never doubted you'd make it for a second
11/17/2005 | 03:40 PM
Congratulations Roger!

Good luck for the semifinals.
11/17/2005 | 11:20 AM
Dear champ, seems like the year is going to end right as it started: with you fighting for points and winning; i like this side of you; it shows how much you strengthened mentally and how much more of a great champion you are ! You`ve said "Thank God!" fo
11/17/2005 | 09:08 AM
Roger,
Saw you play live first time ever. So glad you felt good enough to play. You've saved the tournament - so many pull outs. Although I am not a fan of Nadal, was very disappointed when I heard in the stadium just before the start of that match that
11/17/2005 | 07:55 AM
Fantastic! Roger
Congratulations.
You'll win against Coria, you can make it!
Good luck to you today,too and take care of yourself...keep it up and keep on smiling.

Mika
11/17/2005 | 07:10 AM
If Ljubicic felt he was the best player on the day then he should have won the match! You are always the most talented player who uses your skills. The second set was lost because you are just back from your injury and not because your opponent is bette
11/17/2005 | 06:02 AM
i enjoyed the match very much
you played very well against ljubijic
no one can match your class
best of luck for the finals
11/17/2005 | 03:52 AM
Roger,
I knew you could do it. That was a nail-biting match. I woke up at six AM to watch it. You had me worried for a second but you pulled it off. Conratulations!!! See you in the semi-finals!!
-Jon
11/17/2005 | 02:42 AM
Hi Roger: Just keep on winning. You are not responsible for Ljubicic's clouded mind. The BEST player WON and that's Our ROGER!!!

Your favorite and MOST SENIOR fan in NJ.