Nalbandian defeats Roger in Masters final

20.11.2005 | Tennis

Roger's record-chasing run ended in a dramatic five-set defeat on Sunday to David Nalbandian in the Masters Cup final.

The Argentine, who would not have made the eight-man draw if four of the top five players had not withdrawn, ended Roger's 35-match winning streak with a come-from-behind 6-7 (4) 6-7 (11) 6-2 6-1 7-6 (3).

The world no. 1 rallied from 0-4 in the deciding set and was two points from victory serving at 6-5 and 30-0 before Nalbandian broke back to force a tiebreaker.

Nalbandian earned three championship points when Roger buried a backhand into the net to make it 6-3 in the tiebreaker after 4 hours, 33 minutes. He clinched it when Roger netted a forehand. He dropped to his back on the court.

He becomes the first Argentine to win a year-ending tournament since Guillermo Vilas won the 1974 Masters in Melbourne.

"It's been a fantastic year. Unfortunately I couldn't win the last one but this year will be a great memory for me," said Roger. "To be back after the injury - I'm happy I made it so far. I'm proud of that."

For the world no. 1, it was only the second defeat in four Masters Cup campaigns going back to the 2002 semi-final. He had been in line for the first year-ending hat-trick since Ivan Lendl in 1985-1987.

This defeat stops Roger one win short of equalling John McEnroe's 1984 record winning percentage of 96.5.

12/04/2005 | 08:51 AM
Dear Roger:
this is my first comment.
i believe you are the best.
just do it!
Come on!!
12/01/2005 | 04:36 AM
Hello Roger,

I didn't know that you lost in China until I checked your website. It was a sad news, but on the positive side I am sure it will serve as a lesson to prepare you a sucessful 2006 year!

Your loyal fan,

-Nick
11/30/2005 | 10:58 AM
Dear roger:
You are the best in my mind!!
I'll always support you!!
Good luck to you!!
Best wishes~~
a big fan of tennis
shin-yuh
11/30/2005 | 06:51 AM
hello rogie it is quite heartbreaking for me that you've lost your final match this year to david but inspite all of the sadness that i felt after the match i'm still happy because you remained as the worlds best tennis player this year hi'm hoping that y
11/29/2005 | 02:52 AM
Hi Roger Wat's up? Well I think u do better than and we know tat u play without any problem. And if u have and u shud play u do it very well unlike anothers players, but we allways trust on u.

I wish you have a happy holidays and I cant wait to see u n
11/28/2005 | 03:11 PM
hello to roger it gives much sadness me which step the end of the
masters cup, but you must forwards watch and prepararce for the 2006. You gave the best thing of if, and one deserves good vacations next to mirka and their family, pass good celebrations
11/28/2005 | 02:13 PM
hey rogi!!! dont take tension u were very superb ... u lost i think bcoz f ur injury dont worry u will always remain our master .....u r the king or court ....
11/28/2005 | 08:06 AM
Why you all sorry, he was hurt, played worst than any other match this year, and was still 2 points away from victory. Just proves how incredible you are, man. Others need to pray for an injured Roger to have a chance. You rock with style and class. An ex
11/28/2005 | 03:09 AM
Dear webmaster,

Can you kindly remove the homepage pic and replace it with Roger only or a collage of Roger's pics throughout this amazing year? Its time to move on from this defeat and look forward to next year! It would also be great if you can alrea
11/28/2005 | 01:00 AM
Roger! Thanks for the great year you giving tennis and us! Though the TMC has gone by 2 weeks, there is still a strong emotion in my heart! You made me cry again, and I don't know how many times it happened this year. You fought, persisted and never gave