2005 Outstanding Athlete of the Year

27.12.2005 | Off Court

Roger was the top overall vote getter and was named the 2005 Outstanding Athlete of the Year by the United States Sports Academy after a world-wide internet election hosted by USATODAY.com.

Lance Armstrong was named Male Athlete of the Year for the second straight year, while race car driver Danica Patrick was named Female Athlete of the Year. Female voters outnumbered male voters by a 2-to-1 ratio during the first week of voting in an election that ran from Dec. 1-24. This gave Patrick a lead she would not relinquish. Overall, the ballot received tens of thousands of votes from sports fans around the globe.

The Athlete of the Year is the culmination of the Sports Academy's yearlong Athlete of the Month program, which recognizes the accomplishments of men and women in any sport around the globe on a monthly basis. USSA holds online voting for the Athlete of the Month in which an international voting committee comprised of former athletes, media, sports organizations and governing bodies.

Thanks to everyone for placing your votes!

01/02/2006 | 02:02 AM
Congratulations Roger the great, I am so proud of you. You deserve it, you actually deserve every award. There is really nobody like you. You are the greatest of all time.
01/01/2006 | 10:35 PM
That's a great new ROGI, I'm proud about it and I hope you have a better 2006.
01/01/2006 | 05:59 PM
Congrats to oustanding athlete Roger being voted winner of the 2005 USSA Oustanding Athlete. Sports fans from round the globe truly show their love by their votes.
Perhaps, Roger team can list his outstanding awards onto a scroll for potential younger t
12/31/2005 | 07:20 PM
Hello Roger
This year was a year of great tennis. Thanks to all the creativity of your game you have inspired me to improve my game tenfold. This has been the push i have been looking for to help upstart my quest to become a pro. I am 14 years old and li
12/31/2005 | 07:04 AM
Congratulations on this award (I voted for you too, of course!) you eminently deserve! Hope you are enjoying as much as possible the new year in Qatar! All your fans are hoping to find you fit and eager to defend your title; we're always cheering on our
12/31/2005 | 03:19 AM
congratulations tennisman. and congratulation for the 100 weeks nº1.
12/31/2005 | 12:45 AM
Congratualtions Roger. I am confused as to why you would not also be the Male Athlete of the Year if you are the top overall vote getter? When I voted for you I didn't see a category for "Top Overall Athelete". I voted for you as "Top Male Athele
12/30/2005 | 11:14 PM
Salut Roger!

Many congratulations on receiving another well-deserved award. You're certainly the most outstanding athlete in my book! I hope you had a good holiday and are raring to go - I'm looking forward to your return to the tennis court. Well d
12/30/2005 | 08:02 PM
Ahh what a great Xmas gift to you n all your other fans. Also great way to start a New Year. I am so glad for you Rogi congruts! I like Lance a lot but, you deserve this award more then anyone.. Yay! Well hope you had a good Xmas n have a Happy New Year.
12/30/2005 | 07:15 PM
Congratulation! There is no doubt that you should be awarded. However, I think your girlfriend should be awarded as well. She has devoted so much of her life into your success. I think both of you are so great!

Have a healthy and successful 2006!

V