First title in 2006

07.01.2006 | Tennis

Roger opened the 2006 tennis season by a first tournament title! He beat Gael Monfils, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5), Saturday in the title match of the Qatar Open at Doha.

The tournament's top seed claimed his 34th career ATP singles title and his second straight crown at Qatar to become the first player to win back-to-back crowns in Doha since Stefan Edberg in 1994-95. Roger rose to 34-9 lifetime in Qatar finals.

"I knew that all it takes is the chance of one big win for a young player to break through," said Roger. "So I knew that this was a dangerous match." Roger is very happy with the victory, not at last because he is feeling no more pain at all in his ankle. "I am right on plan for the Australian Open," he said happily.

02/20/2006 | 12:59 AM
DEAR FANS:
IN THE WEBSITE:atptennis.com ( IN THE LEFT CORNER OF THE PAGE, WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS) WE ALL CAN VOTE FOR OUR FAVORITE PLAYER: "YOUR VOTE WILL DETERMINE THE WINNER" IS THE "STARS FOR STARS: FAN FAVORITE VOTING" YOU CAN VOTE AS MANY TIMES AS YO
01/11/2006 | 10:31 AM
WOW WOW WOW!!! I am soo glad you won the DOHA match... Also glad your back in action!!!...Good start to the year!!!...

I finally came to your matches.... I was 30cm from you at the Kooyong classic as you were walking into the courts for GAME 1/DAY 1..
01/11/2006 | 10:28 AM

01/11/2006 | 01:07 AM
yay! =)
great job, glad to know that your ankle is fully healed.

anjo
01/11/2006 | 12:39 AM
Well done bro!I great wish you all the best for the new year...a great tennis to enjoy on courts,to stay focus and play as you only can,to be healthy(the most important)and to be happy as the "Number One"!!!Love you...V-Thessaloniki...
01/11/2006 | 12:38 AM
rey. im soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy for your victory. is soo great that you started the year to won.congratulations men, remember you are the king
01/10/2006 | 06:14 PM
Congratulation Roger.. you still the number 1!!
keep working so hard... and win in Australia..!
01/10/2006 | 05:50 PM
Congratulations Roger, hope your 2006 will be a happy one. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, enjoy yourself!
All of your fans know how great an athlete you are. You are the best.
Adrienne, Pittsburgh PA USA
01/10/2006 | 05:35 PM
Great news about the ankle. Could this be the year Roger takes all 4 slams? If he remains injury free, cannot see anyone stopping him.

Jefferson, from Cambridge, England
01/10/2006 | 05:01 PM
Congrats!! jaja I saw u with the trohpy very cool(Y)