Roger to play his third final this year

03.03.2006 | Tennis

Roger defeated Russia's Mikhail Youzhny 6-2 6-3 to reach the final of the Dubai Open. Roger will now either meet second-seeded Spaniard Rafael Nadal or unseeded German Rainer Schüttler in Saturday's final.

Although the score suggests it was a straightforward match for the Swiss top seed, a strangely inconsistent performance from Roger in the first set meant he fell behind in his first four service games. He had to fight off four break points in the opening game and although he broke to lead 2-0 when Youzhny netted a weak backhand, Roger faced another three break points in the next game. He also fell behind 0-30 in his remaining two service games of the set but often followed up by playing sublime tennis to pull himself out of trouble.

After holding off an eighth break point when leading 4-2, Roger broke again for the set when Youzhny made a forehand error. The second set was more comfortable for Roger as he raised his game and often ended rallies by changing the pace and forcing errors from his opponent. The outcome of the set still hinged on just one break of serve. That came in the seven-deuce second game after Youzhny failed to win any of five game points and then double-faulted on break point.

"Overall, I played well in the match," Roger commented. "I'm very happy, I just tried to win it."

03/04/2006 | 08:03 PM
So sorry Roger. Remember, you are still the very best, the No 1 in the world. Today was just a blip.
Best wishes from all your admirers in the U.K.
03/04/2006 | 07:55 PM
Roger!!! I"m so sad that you lost the game today against Nadal, but any way you played a good match and I know you did your best. Wish you all the best and success in your up coming games. Can't wait to see you playing again.
Love you -oxxo-
03/04/2006 | 07:32 PM
QUE TONTO QUE ERES! GANANDO UN SET Y MEDIO ARRIBA TE VOLTEAN NECESITAS MEJOR PSICOLOGO URGENTE!!!
03/04/2006 | 07:16 PM
Hey,
It's me again. Just wanted to let you know you're still number #1. It's just the Dubai championships, it's not the Grandslam. And I still think you have a major shot at winning at the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, NASDAQ Miami Open and finally
03/04/2006 | 07:11 PM
Sorry, I don´t know what happened-
You lose your way in the 7 game of 2 set.
Then he played better, but you lose.....
Ok, I am so sad. and is not a good moment to talk about it.
It is really a complicated play.
Take a time, and we have all our suppo
03/04/2006 | 07:07 PM
Roger,
Sorry for this final's result. But believe yourself, you can beat him next time. Stay healthy, enjoy playing tennis. We love you. We always love you.
03/04/2006 | 06:58 PM
Hey Roger,
I'm so sorry that you lost in the Dubai final against Rafael Nadal. I really wanted you to win, I was so upset, I even cried when you were down 2 games in the last (3rd) set. I don't really understand what happened, maybe it just wasn't your d
03/04/2006 | 06:44 PM
dear rogi,
sorry for the lose BUT it's ok.just a match.
you know,everyone loses.it's just Dubai,not the grandslam.it doesn't matter.you are still the BEST!!!

love you!

irene
03/04/2006 | 06:23 PM
That was painful. Just stay focused Roger. You are still the best.
03/04/2006 | 06:15 PM
Oh oh, Nadal serving for the game..