Nadal too strong for Roger

04.03.2006 | Tennis

Roger's ATP Tour-record 56-match hardcourt winning streak was stopped this Saturday in Dubai. He could not stop Rafael Nadal, losing the thrilling final 6-2, 4-6, 4-6.

Roger, the winner in Dubai the last three years, had not lost a hardcourt match since falling to eventual champion Marat Safin in the 2005 Australian Open semifinals. Nadal, who was playing in just his second tournament since October because of foot and thigh injuries, improved to 3-1 against Roger. The Spanish teenage sensation defeated him in four sets in last year's French Open semifinals en route to claiming his first Grand Slam title.

Nadal was two games away from losing before breaking Roger in the ninth game of the second set, then holding to level the match. The lefthander broke Federer in the opening game of the second set before the Swiss star countered with a break three games later. But at 4-4, Nadal broke one final time, then held to close out the match.

"Rafa was simply too good today. I am happy with my performance here in Dubai," were Rogers words after the final.

Roger was playing in his ninth straight final.  He had gone 7-1 in his previous eight, with the only loss coming to David Nalbandian in the year-end Tennis Masters Cup last November.

Despite the loss, Roger is an amazing 113-5 since losing to Tomas Berdych in the second round of the 2004 Olympics.  He had been 16-0 this year, including earning the Australian Open title for his seventh Grand Slam.

03/20/2006 | 03:39 PM
DEAR ROGER,

I FEEL SAD FOR YOUR LOSS. TOO LATE FOR ME TO FIND OUT. SORRY. I WASN'T ABLE TO WATCH YOUR GAMES LATELY. I KNOW THIS IS HARD FOR YOU BECAUSE DUBAI IS ESPECIALLY CLOSE TO YOUR HEART BUT THEN AGAIN THIS IS JUST A LITTLE BUMP IN YOUR ROAD. YOU
03/12/2006 | 07:27 PM
Hi Roger I'm a new member. I watch that game too. I'm a littlebit sad but it's ok now . I like you so much and I will always be your fan. Love you.
03/12/2006 | 02:38 PM
12 March 2006

I don't think Nadal would have won if the match had gone on to five sets.

Cordially...

Anthony St. John
03/11/2006 | 03:10 AM
Hello Roger,
I think you probably check in from time to time to see what the members are saying. I sure hope so. At pivotal times like these, please feel your fans imparting their love and fighting spirit to you. Know you are FAR from alone. We
03/10/2006 | 08:16 PM
Hi!! Roger the game was awsome!!! don't worry I'm sure you won't miss your next challenge!!!!
Good job!!!
Andrea
03/10/2006 | 12:10 PM
Hello to everybody!!
I only want to say that I want other Roger's fans to write me to my e-mail,I want to share my love and passion for Roger with other fans all around the world,specially Spaniards like me!!!
I can speak both on English and Spanish,my
03/10/2006 | 12:01 PM
roge
u won't lose it again, will u?
hey, anyway u are the best! so, i mean don't mind the results, so do i
03/10/2006 | 11:49 AM
Hello Roger!!!
I'm from Spain and,despite that,you're the tennis player that I love most!
I felt relly sad when you lost against Nadal but I'm sure you will be able to defeat him in your next meeting!
Good luck at Indian Wells and Miami,I'm sure you'll
03/10/2006 | 10:06 AM
It's so upset !I had no chance to watch the game .Whenever you win or lost ,I support you.If you lost one game,That's doesn't matter.I hope you enjoy the game,and show your perfect performance in France Open.
03/10/2006 | 09:06 AM
you played very well in first set.i am sure that you will win nadal next time because you are number one.i love you