Roger sets up dream final against Nadal

22.04.2006 | Tennis

Roger and defending champion Rafael Nadal of Spain will meet in the Monte Carlo Masters final after winning their semifinals Saturday.

Roger beat Fernando Gonzalez of Chile 6-2, 6-4, and Nadal downed Gaston Gaudio of Argentina 5-7, 6-1, 6-1.

He reached his 12th consecutive final, equaling John McEnroe's mark set in 1984. Only Guillermo Vilas (13 straight in 1977) and Ivan Lendl (18 between 1981-82) have reached more in a row.

It was his 29th straight in a Masters Series tournament.

'I was very focused on this match, very concentrated,' said Roger. 'I got off to a fast start. Even though I've never lost to him, Gonzalez is always a tough opponent. I had to play well to beat him. I'm pleased with my form, which has gotten better as the week goes on.'

Roger lost to Nadal in early March in the final of Dubai. 'I want to take my revenge for Dubai in the final,' he said. 'I've had a great week and I'd love to finish it with the title.'

04/24/2006 | 03:38 PM
I'd finally got to watch the delayed telecast this afternoon, a 3hrs+ game being cut and screened as 2hrs. Thanks StarSports, as you had probably cut all those Roger shots which i didn't wish to see :)

Roger, you didn't play that bad from 2nd set onw
04/23/2006 | 11:32 PM
Roger, don't worry, we all know, you are the more/most talented player! Next time, next meeting, also Nadal will have to believe in it! :-)
04/23/2006 | 11:29 PM
04/23/2006 | 10:33 PM
Hi Roger,
I really feel for you. The finals today were a hard fought match. I agree with everyone else. It's just a matter of time. You're #1 on asphalt, and before long you will be on clay too. As always, you were the consumate gentleman. See you soon a
04/23/2006 | 10:24 PM
04/23/2006 | 09:56 PM
Roger,

You had the best record at Monte-Carlo and one step close to title at French Open. Don't give up and I have the full confident of you.

Mufan
04/23/2006 | 08:48 PM
Great Roger!!!!!!!!

You are the best, be careful with Nadal. Come on Roger, We support you forever. All my positive energy to you. GO ROGER!!!!
04/23/2006 | 08:42 PM
With some distance too the loss, my thoughts:

Its takes a Champion too beat a Champion it seems. Even though i´m very disapointed about the loss it´s good for the sport!

-If the sport of tennis will reach the highs as it once had in the past with th
04/23/2006 | 08:41 PM
With some distance too the loss, my thoughts:

-If the sport of tennis will reach the highs as it once had in the past with th
04/23/2006 | 08:20 PM
Tough Luck!

If only you'd taken that tie-break and pushed it to a 5th set...

Seriously though, congratulations on getting as close to Nadal as you did today - the closest yet. Given his supremacy on the surface, a great start to the clay court seas