Roger ready to match Borg

17.06.2006 | Tennis

Roger moved into the final in Halle today with a 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-3 victory over sixth-seeded Tommy Haas.

It was already Roger's third consecutive match over three sets - he is now just on victory short to equaling Björn Borg's grass-court record of 41 victories from 1976 to 1981.

"I could've — should've — closed it out earlier," Roger said. "Over all, I played pretty solid, but I didn't serve as well as I wanted. He converted only 2 of 16 break-point chances against Haas. "I returned well on the deuce side and had some difficulty on the ad side. Tommy either served better or I couldn't get the ball in play."

Roger will play Tomas Berdych, who defeated Kristof Vliegen, 6-3, 6-2, aiming at his fourth title in Halle. Roger holds a 2-1 edge over Berdych in their head-to-head meetings. Berdych defeated him in the 2004 Olympics but lost the next two encounters at the 2005 Hamburg Masters and in the French Open this year.

06/18/2006 | 07:17 PM
What a weekend! Congratulations on the Halle streak and on the 70'000 members! Well done again Roger
06/18/2006 | 06:10 PM
MAGNIFIQUE ROGER M'LOVE. YOU CAME THROUGH AFTER ALL THOSE THREE SET MATCHES AND YOUR TIREDNESS FROM THE CLAY COURTS. YOU ARE UNBELIEVEABLE!!

EVEN BRYDICH NOW ADMITS THAT YOU ARE THE BEST......

NOW, GET SOME REST BEFORE STARTING WIMBELDON. YOUR ST
06/18/2006 | 05:34 PM
Hello, Roger,

I live in Malaysia and we are not able to see your games at the ATP Halle Tournament live but we always pray for the good news that you won. I am your fan because although I do not personally know you from what I have observed it is your
06/18/2006 | 05:12 PM
Here's the man we all know and love!
ROGER, MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS ON WINNING YOUR 4TH TITLE IN HALLE!!!!!!!!!

It was a fabulously exhilaratingly thrilling final against Berdych!
And the first set...6-0...20 minutes!!!
SPECTACULAR SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!
06/18/2006 | 04:36 PM
Roger, lots of congratulations to you!! You're great and your proved that you're number one! It was sad I could't see you playing live and had just to read live scoring, but I'm so happy that you've won and so proud to be your fan:) I'm sure you'll be th
06/18/2006 | 04:29 PM
congratulationssssssss u r brilliant and i knew ur not gonna disapoint me like sharapova did
06/18/2006 | 04:29 PM
06/18/2006 | 04:14 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! Nor the fatigue which you showed at the beginning of the match can avoid that you show your better tennis, a worthy spectacle of admiration. Every day you leave but clear because you are I number # 1.
06/18/2006 | 04:07 PM
well done roger i'm so happy for you and best wishes for wimbeldon
06/18/2006 | 04:07 PM