50th victory in North America

10.08.2006 | Tennis

Roger stretched his winning streak in North America to 50 matches, stretching back more than two years when he defeated Sébastien Grosjean of France 6-3, 6-3 in the second round of the Rogers Cup yesterday.

After nine days of holidays and over two weeks of intensive training with Pierre Paganini and Tony Roche in the immense heat in Dubai Roger did not precisely know where he was standing. "It's quite similar to a fresh start, comparable to the beginning of a new season in january. That's why it was so important to find the right rhythm straight away," Roger commented.

"Same as (Tuesday) -- good," Roger replied when asked to assess his latest triumph. "I think I played a little more aggressive. I had patches where I played really good tennis. I was really pleased with the way I played, because he's a tough player and I haven't played him in a while. He's a veteran and he knows how to play the game well, and he's quick, so I had to play a good match."

Roger will play either Tommy Haas (AT 17) or Russia's Dimitri Tursunow (ATP 27) in the next round. Only three of the men originally seeded in the top 10 are left in the tournament. And no Americans remained in contention after Kevin Kim, ranked 96th in the world, lost to No. 25 Fernando Verdasco of Spain, 6-3, 6-2.

08/11/2006 | 10:14 AM
Well u did it again, playing yr great shots vs Tursunov. Congrats !!!
Hope the fall did not hurt u in anyway. When it happened, its like watching Baryshikov falling at his performance ! You are the true artist on court.
Yr right eye seem to bother you t
08/11/2006 | 09:59 AM
Well Done Roger!

Now Nadal has lost this title is yours without a doubt.
It just shows how far away Nadal is from you in consistancy. He cant win week in week out.

Good lick rog!
08/11/2006 | 07:50 AM
I AM WAITING FOR THE 54TH VICTORY CELEBRATIONS.
SO GO AND HAVE FUN ON THE COURT.
08/11/2006 | 06:42 AM
Roger fell? Does he hurt?
It's a shame I can only follow the match on the internet. Quite a scare when he lost the 2nd set but 6-0 in the 3rd, I'm sure everybody should get the message.
Go Roger!!
08/11/2006 | 06:03 AM
Roger,

Congratulations on your victory tonight over Tursunov. You keep getting better and betterer ;)

You must have played tennis with the gods in another life!

Here's to the Rogers Cup, Roger, with your name on it yet again!

M
08/11/2006 | 05:13 AM
ok Roger so now go for Malisse i think then u can have a hard match versus Gonzales or Acasuso,I'm sure you'll do it,do your best,my champion!
08/11/2006 | 05:11 AM
It's too bad that the young Nadal is already out of the picture this time otherwise we would have witness your other victory against him again! Will stay put to watch you win the Cup!
Cheers! Oy from Bangkok
08/11/2006 | 05:10 AM
Dear Roger

I was so concerned when you fell. I sincerely hope that you are not hurt in any way. I could not watch the rest of the match because I was really nervous but when my friend told me you won the third set I was really overjoyed.

Congratul
08/11/2006 | 05:03 AM
It's already 51 now!!..Congrats on winning the match against Dimitri:-)..and Nadal's out of the picture already!*gasp*
08/11/2006 | 04:40 AM
Oustanding again.
We were so concernd when you fell to the ground.... and I think you were too.
I hope you are ok. Take care and GO