Roger cruises into second

17.01.2011 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger was in fine touch on Rod Laver Court and moved into the second round of the Australian Open with a 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 victory against Lukas Lacko.

Roger proved that he is in great shape, breaking Lacko's serve seven times in total. "I felt great right from the start. My aim was to play aggressively and see if Lacko can hold the pace", Roger said after the match.

Roger won the point on his firs serve 87 per cent of the time and won 16 of 20 net approaches to mix it up enough to make the baseliners of the game uncomfortable. He needed no more than 33 minutes for any of the three sets, showing some fantastic tennis. Lacko did score a break in the second set, but was unable to win the games upon his own serve. Roger needed one final break in the last set to comfortably wrap up the victory after 84 minutes.

Next up is a clash with either Sydney International winner Gilles Simon of France or Taiwan's Yen-Hsun Lu on Wednesday.

01/19/2011 | 04:41 PM
MIL FELICIDADES ROGER, FUE UN PARTIDO DE INFARTO!!! ERES EL MEJOR LA PERFECCION SUIZA Y DEL TENNIS!!!
01/19/2011 | 03:22 PM
Happy for you that you could dig in and took the victory out of the fire
be carefull the next one against Malisse will have the same snakes under the grass.....
01/19/2011 | 02:35 PM
Wonderful match, Roger! I have never seen you as aggressive as you were for the first set and a half. I actually felt sorry for Simon. All credit to Simon, he put up a fantastic fight helped marginally by your dip. I knew you would win the match, but I wasn't expecting any more than 4 sets. Simon's feel for the ball and anticipation is unmatched even by Murray. Murray does come out on top in his athleticism and forward movement. I am confident that you'll play even better in the next rounds.
01/19/2011 | 02:34 PM
would anyone please tell me what happened after the second set? i left him safe and went studying after the second one then came back at 2 all. i stayed and kept praying till he won. thank God. so did he play poor or did simon just woke up?
01/19/2011 | 02:33 PM
OMG!! I was going to have heart atack!!
Roger!! It was tremendous how my nervius have been....
But at least you winnnnn!! Yeahhhh
Thank´s Roger for the effort and for continue in the tournament...Have rest and stay focus for the next......love youuuu!!
01/19/2011 | 02:31 PM
Dearest Roger, I´m so exiting from this incredible match, very congrats, the best wishes and luck against next opponent, love you Adri
01/19/2011 | 02:28 PM
Dear Roger,
Congratulations on your win over Simon.
Your break point percentage was 8/18, not good and your unforced errors were too high (53). Can you play aggressively without making so many unforced errors. You will not beat Nadal with your game today. They are already handing him an easy draw to make sure he has the utmost chance to win and you better make sure you are sharp and no lapses in concentration like today. Do not give me the excuse that Simon's game improved, you went down.
01/19/2011 | 02:28 PM
Was a tough one Roger,but Im happy that you won this....
01/19/2011 | 02:22 PM
I thank my 'Divine Spirit' and my continuous prayers for Roger rising above, digging deep and finding the strength and courage to overcome and outlast Giles. Thank you thank you Roger. Unfortunately due to the storm in Brisbane this evening we on Foxtel were unable to view your match. However I was on the AO website from the outset and you certainly powered through the first two sets, and then the rest we know. Rest well and Kia Kaha (Stay Strong). Health & Happiness,
Alice. Yahoo!!!
01/19/2011 | 02:21 PM
Congratulations Federer, you have beaten Simon for the first time.