Through in five sets

19.01.2011 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger needed five sets and over 3 hours to win his second-round match 6-2, 6-3, 4-6, 4-6, 6-3 at the Australian Open against Gilles Simon today.

"Matches against him don't come easy, it's the first win I've had," Roger said. "Today I got lucky, I was happy I won."

Things worked fine for Roger as he ripped through the first two sets in just 68 minutes. Then, Simon broke twice to take a 3-0 lead in set number three, but Roger also broke twice before he then had his serve broken once more as the Frenchman held on to win the set. Simon was the only player to break serve in the fourth set, taking the match into a fifth.

In the decider, Roger converted a break point in the sixth game to take a 4-2 lead. He later gained another three break points to end the match, but Simon saved all of them to force our champ to serve for the match. Roger had to work for the victory all the way up to the end and was finally able to make use of match point number 5, closing the match with an ace.

Roger will play Belgium's Xavier Malisse (ATP 45) in the third round. Roger leads the head-to-head 7:1. The one defeat goes back 12 years in a Davis Cup encounter.

01/21/2011 | 11:29 PM
com ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!
01/21/2011 | 07:57 AM
Roger,
I like you these days so much.
Let's enjoy playing.
01/21/2011 | 07:55 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=F324&oId=R419 ===> c'monnnn, let's go for 10-0 H2H against ROBREDO & show him how it's being done, champ~!!!
01/21/2011 | 07:40 AM
congrats roger
u did a great job
all the best for 4th round
01/21/2011 | 07:25 AM
CONGRATULATIONS ROOOOO SOL MI BELLO, fantastic match thanks thanks all the success for the next meeting, I'm going to sleep kisses are at 3:20 am in the morning and I have to work early, I love you kisses Mirka and girls of VAMOSSSSS ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Rosi de Argentina.
E
01/21/2011 | 07:25 AM
Felicidades Roger!!! Facilito el partido para ti! Me gustó mucho la entrevista al final de partido...me fascinas!!
En el 1er set te noté algo molesto, tirando bolas al ahí se va...qué pasó??
Lo bueno fué que solo en dos juegos pasó ésto y después volviste a ser el mismo genio de siempre!! Gracias Roger...descansa y vamos por el siguiente!!
Besos y saludos hermosooo
01/21/2011 | 07:17 AM
WOOHOO, CONGRATS ON EASY 3-SET WIN AGAINST MALISSE, CHAMP~~!~~

Now, let's rest-n-concentrate on BETTER SERVING for next round, puh-leeez~!!!
01/21/2011 | 07:04 AM
I'll take 6-0 or 6-1 in 3rd set for straight-set win.....LET'S GET OFF THE COURT & REST UP 4 NEXT ROUND~!!!
01/21/2011 | 07:02 AM
c'monnn, pls. don't give up your service game again, like in 1st set, and close this 3rd set out asap so u can get off the court, champ~!!!

it's now 3-0, and PLS. SHUT THAT DOOR NOW~!!!!
01/21/2011 | 06:57 AM
on 2nd thought, 6-3, 6-3, 6-3'll be just as nice-n-dandy, 2~!

can't wait 2 see SOSC/RN be beaten by that 18-yr-old Australian upstart 2morrow~! THAT'LL REALLY MAKE MY DAY...