Through to quarters in four

23.01.2011 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger has made it through the first week Down Under and will play the quarter finals next week thanks to a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory over Tommy Robredo.

"It was a tough match and I'm really happy to be in the next round," Roger commented. "I'm sweating bullets out here so I'm really delighted to win this match."

Once again, Roger started perfectly, hitting ace after ace and not conceding a single point on his serve in the first set. But the second proved to be a rough ride as he struggled with his return and couldn't get the balls into play like he wanted to. But he went on to regain control in the third and fourth set, taking each one thanks to early breaks.

With the victory, Roger has reached the quarter-finals for 27 consecutive majors since his third-round exit at the 2004 French Open, equaling Connors Open era record! Of his 26 previous quarter-final appearances, he has converted 24 into semifinals, gone on to reach 20 finals and won 14 of them.

In the quarter-final, he will either meet Andy Roddick (ATP 8) or his Swiss Olympic teammate Stanislas Warwinka (ATP 19) on Tuesday.

01/28/2011 | 04:12 PM
Federer is awesome
01/26/2011 | 05:23 AM
Great match, my Champion!!
Well done!!
I'm so pround of you...

Continues to work hard and with much determination.
You'll get there ...

With all my love and support.

Rose
From Brazil
01/25/2011 | 07:58 AM
Go Roger go.. I have a feeling that you will face Andy Murray again in the final.

Good Luck in Sf!

Love you Roger...
Yazeed
01/25/2011 | 07:06 AM
Y para aquellos que decían que Stans venía fuerte y duro de ganarle, pues nooo...jamas dudaré de la tenacidad y el súper juego de nuestro MAESTRO Roger!!
Roger va más allá de todos los que quedan en el torneo...los supera por muchoooo...hasta a Nadal, que tanto dicen que es el No 1....Roger lo ha sido por añooosss y cada vez juega mucho mejor!!
01/25/2011 | 06:47 AM
peRFect, our champ!
Congralutations and best luck in semis.
Jana
01/25/2011 | 06:39 AM
Yeahhhhh....I knew it...you are a CHAMPEON!!
Increíble manera de ganarle a Stan...Felicidades Roger...nos haces muy felices a todods los que te keremos y respetamos.
God bless you forever and ever!!
Gracias hermosooooo....sigue así en los siguientes partidos...tu ganarás el trofeo de AO...yeahhhhh
01/25/2011 | 06:38 AM
It was fantastic tennis, best on this tournament.
Congratulations Roger!
Good luck in Sf!
You are the best, Rog!
01/25/2011 | 06:31 AM
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WENT SMOOTHLY INTO SEMIFINALS, SUCH A GREAT WIN! I LOVE WATCHING YOU PLAY: ITS A JOY. THANK YOU ROGER, THE ONLY TRUE CHAMPION!
01/25/2011 | 05:59 AM
A fantastic win today, Roger! You are brilliant! All the best for the semi-final. You will do it! This has been a wonderful tournament. Watching your match against Monfils in Rod Laver Arena was unbelievable. Seeing you practise for an hour and then getting your autograph afterwards was such a thrill. Thank you.
01/25/2011 | 05:47 AM
MAJESTIC ! absolutely MAJESTIC ! A 'show' fit for a king ! My God, Roger, you were absolutely BRILLIANT, as SPARKLING as a DIAMOND. God has blessed you with grandeur. Thank you God and thank you Roger. Awesome, totally awesome ! I am so happy to have seen MAGNIFICENCE.
May the two remaining matches be as SPLENDID. Thank you again for the joy.
Will always love you.
Blessings to you, your super team, and all your family.
marie im mtl