Roger advances to second round

16.08.2006 | Tennis

Roger survived an early scare as he began defense of his Western & Southern Financial Group Masters title with a straight-sets win Tuesday night. Roger beat Paradorn Srichaphan of Thailand 7-5, 6-4 two days after winning the 40th title of his career Sunday in Toronto. He is 55-0 in North America since a first-round loss in this Cincinnati-area tournament in August 2004.

"I was very worried today. The court was fast, he was playing very well, and I had a bad feeling when I was down in that first set," Roger said. "I thought this match could be over in a hurry, the other way."

Roger will meet Andy Murray in round two. Murray won the second prestigious match against Tim Henman (4-6, 6-4, 7-5). Roger and Murray last played each other in the final in Bangkok, where the Swiss star won 7-5, 6-3.

08/17/2006 | 05:23 PM
dear roger
well played never mind & just take it easy about the match against murray Actually i really appreciate u bcoz u are constantly playing every match without rest but now u can be prepared bcoz U.S. open awaits you & also make a pla
08/17/2006 | 07:15 AM
Hi Roger,
Eventhough u lost cincinatti , US Open is waiting for u .. that is yours .. Dont Worry ..
Prepare well for US Open ..
All the best
Luv
Saifi
08/17/2006 | 07:08 AM
Dear Roger,
Just before I heard of your loss, I was explaining to my dad how awesome you are! His hero will probably always be Sampras, but you will continue to be mine. Think of this loss as a blessing instead. Now you will have adequate time to rest be
08/17/2006 | 06:25 AM
I have not seen the game Roger, but I wished you had Brad Gilbert as a coach and not Andy.

First of all he would have "got your back", gave you top notch info about other player, the guy is really good at that and he puts the effort, not like other coa
08/17/2006 | 02:40 AM
although you lose the game ,but it's nothing,come on,Roger,you are the best one!
08/17/2006 | 02:37 AM
?????~~~~~
08/17/2006 | 02:09 AM
Well Roger, What can I say, you shouldn't have been playing there. But I know you also didn't expect to win this one. You were play 3 sets per days for last three day of Toronto..
I personally don't think you will make it this as well..From you post inte
08/16/2006 | 10:31 PM
Hate to see you lost this afternoon, I can bearly held my tears... On the other hand, there is no general that could win every battle. Today it is just one of your unlucky day. Take some good rest, and see you on US open. You will be always my hero, win o
08/16/2006 | 10:27 PM
Very sorry that it was not your day. It was too much to go straight from Toronto to Cincinatti, particularly when there's so too little time in between matches. So one can imagine it was not exactly a joy to be out there today, when Murray was as unplea
08/16/2006 | 10:22 PM
Roger sorry for the lost but it´s ok you are a human not a machine you need to rest for the us open you seem tired it´s a shame cuz you lost the oportunity to tie lend´s mark of 18 finals in a row but i need to tell you that it´s your fault cuz you did no