Roger out in second round

17.08.2006 | Tennis

Roger's winning streak in North America ended yesterday when he was defeated in the second round in Cincinnati by Britain's Andy Murray 7-5, 6-4. It was Roger's earliest tournament exit in two years.

Roger had reached the final of 17 consecutive tournaments, a streak that began in June 2005. He fell one shy of matching the Open-era record of 18 straight set by Ivan Lendl in 1981-82.

“The streaks? I don’t care about those now that they’re over,” Roger said, not having lost in straight sets in 194 matches. “It’s going to be a relief for everybody, and now we can move on.” Roger's last loss in North America came at this same Masters Series tournament, to Dominik Hrbaty in the first round on Aug. 3, 2004.

Roger is now 62-5 this year. His other losses came against Rafael Nadal. He was 85-2 on hard courts over the last two years heading into the match.

Murray, from Scotland, reached the semifinals in Toronto, and he was ranked a career-best 21st entering this tournament. “I know Federer didn’t play his best match, but how many guys beat him when he’s playing badly anyway?” Murray said, adding, “I didn’t know how to react at the end, because I definitely was not planning on winning the match.”

08/24/2006 | 06:01 PM
Hi sadhana,

Thank you for taking the time to write that letter it was very nice of you to do that.

What a fantastic daughter you have to do that for you must of made your dream's come true it all sounds amazing and to see him on his birthday as wel
08/24/2006 | 04:35 PM
best of luck to Roger in US open.
08/24/2006 | 12:30 AM
Tnx to share with us your experience Sahana... Its great because lot of us cant have the opportunity you had... Great!!!!
I hope August 28 to can see Roger playing again.. THE RETURN OF THE KING!!!!
08/23/2006 | 10:22 PM
roger good luck your doing good tennis good luck
08/23/2006 | 10:20 PM
it's okay I mean you played the out of the top ten you must have been a little tired listen forget it the usopen is coming and I know you will win it. good luck
08/23/2006 | 09:06 PM
continued from previous letter.

The next night we saw him play and that was the ultimate! His backhand is so strong and amazing, even though its supposed to be his "weakness". After the match and interview the crowd sang Happy Birthday and then he cut
08/23/2006 | 08:56 PM
Roger then went to practice with his partner at Stadium(Center) court. We could only watch him from the entrance since we were not allowed in.

This was Monday and in the evening we had the privilege of watching him open the tournament. He was so styli
08/23/2006 | 08:50 PM
I am short so I was able to worm my way to the front and watch him practice with a young Canadian player. Roger is amazingly informal and cute. He is much thinner than I anticipated but you know he has strong lovely legs and broad shoulders. When he fini
08/23/2006 | 08:42 PM
I never hoped to see Roger in Toronto ( I live in Ottawa) but my daughter, who knows that I worship the ground Roger walks on, gave me a lovely surprise. She bought tickets for two days so that we would not miss his match.

The crowd was waiting for h
08/23/2006 | 08:35 PM
Dear Janell,

I would like to share my "Roger"experience with you. It would however to be in installments because I am a one finger typist and too slow and so my letters get rejected.

I hope you saw the U.S.Open draw and I like Roger's quarter. I th