Roger battles through

05.05.2011 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger battled to get through to the third round of the Madrid Open as he eben had to save a match point to defeat Feliciano Lopez 7-6 (13), 6-7(1), 7-6(7).

"I got a bit lucky tonight. I had my chances early on, so it would have really been a tough loss," Roger said. "It was a tough match. I guess it will help me for the French Open, I did spend three hours on clay."

The two players were on court for almost three hours as Roger served 25 aces - his highest ever mark outside a grand slam event. Roger captured the first set of a very levelled match 15-13, did not manage to hold up in the second as he was beaten 1-7 and eventually came through 9-7 in the final set.

Roger will meet Xavier Malisse (ATP 49) in the next match on Thursday.

05/05/2011 | 10:29 PM
I always knew you will do it at the end! :D Tough one but happy that you are through to the Quarters now! :)
Love you Rog!

Sana
05/05/2011 | 07:08 PM
I'm happy for you Roger!!! you made a good match againts Malisse, i hope you will get the trophy!!!!! We love you.
05/05/2011 | 06:54 PM
Dear Roger,

What a nail biter! I'm glad you came thru and also won your match today! Good luck tomorrow and I'll be cheering for you as always! :)

Your biggest fan,

Adeline
05/05/2011 | 06:45 PM
Always a pleasure to watch you play, Roger. What a way of recovering from the 3 breaker yesterday. Keep it up. You can do it.
05/05/2011 | 06:30 PM
Roger, Keep on going...
By the end of next year, you will be the world number 1 again.

From your old and royal fan.
05/05/2011 | 06:18 PM
I agree, I predicted a very easy win for you Maestro, Lopez seemed inspired -possibly because of the Spanish football players and other Spanish sportspeople in attendance. Very nail biting but you got there in the end. Great to see you playing again, I know the result of the Malisse match having just watched it, like you said afterwards, a different kind of match, but one which you played so well in, best of luck against Soderling or Tsonga, I am sure you will win the match again, all love
05/05/2011 | 05:41 PM
Not many of us would have expected you to have such a tough match against Lopez, but great match practise for you as you said. Congratulations and also for your win today against Malisse. Good luck for the quarter finals. Love, Liz x
05/05/2011 | 05:40 PM
Congrats ROGI for your win vs Malisse !!!

It was like a lesson of drop shot ..Really, very nice variety !!! very brilliant shots !!! You got your ace when you needed !!!

Keep up the good work with more concentration in the critcal moments !!!

Rest and refresh and stay highly motivated !!!

Best of luck for the next match !!!

God bless you

Your friend

"""HSASSAN """
05/05/2011 | 05:35 PM
Great Job Roger.Come on!GO GO and GO.Champion only,OK.
05/05/2011 | 05:33 PM
Good match with Malisse. Good luck in quarterfinal tomorrow my dear.