Roger cruises into quarters

05.05.2011 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger defeated Xavier Malisse today 6-4, 6-3 and has booked his spot in the quarter-finals.

Roger played much more flexible today - just a few hours after his victory over Spain's Feliciano Lopez. He was in control of the match. He struggled only once when Malisse fought his way back into the first set but Roger eventually took it 6-4. After 70 minutes, Roger won the match with his first match ball.

"I was really happy with my performance," said Roger after the match. "I'm looking forward to the next round. Xavier is a great player, who is capable of great shots so it is very nice to get through."

In the quarter-finals, Roger will face the winner of the match between Robin Söderling and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Roger leads the head-to-head 15-1 against Söderling, and 3-1 against Tsonga.

05/07/2011 | 07:55 PM
U played some magnificent points 2day Roger. Nad's games today besides a couple of passing shots didnt really give any impression at all. But I really dont understand why u still made so many UNFORCED ERRORS! U, above everyone else should be the one with toughest mental out there, with all the experience u possessed throughout ur career... Its painful to see u lost matches like this Roger, cos now on the news now I see only 2 names, and theses arent u :(
05/07/2011 | 07:47 PM
Roger, you are so generous, giving away a myriad of points today. I'm afriaid you have to learn on court that one needs not be generous that way. You battled your way back in the first set and I kept waiting for you to do it again in 2nd, 3rd. You began to in 3rd, but not soon enough. You played such clever plays at times! A joy to watch. At least this means you don't have to meet up w/Joker on his incredible run. Eager to see you in Rome! Blessings on you.
05/07/2011 | 07:38 PM
Roger,
you are concentrating. It is a beautiful.
I love you...
05/07/2011 | 07:36 PM
Before getting to my errands...to TINTINO1: you are so right. The commentators kept burying Roger after every point won by RN and silence when our Roger won points over their darling Nadal...too bad because it builds up the belief that Nadal is a better player. He, Nadal, certainly has won more matches over Roger and I guess you could say he is the King of Clay...whatever, blah. Roger is the MASTER OF TENNIS and KING OF GRAND SLAMS...and that's the way it is...
05/07/2011 | 07:31 PM
See ? You still have it. Great match. You are another person compared to Monaco. Still you got to control those unforced errors. On the positive side, you are serving better, running more, playing faster and more aggressively. I strongly believe you can still reclaim one or two Grand Slams titles or even more. Just keep focus and motivated.
05/07/2011 | 07:31 PM
Sorry you didn't win today Roger,you played well it was just not your day.Good luck in Rome x
05/07/2011 | 07:30 PM
Rooooogeeeer!!!!! What a match! I am elated the way you played Nadal. Yes, you lost...but, hey, what a lesson in tennis you gave him! I don't really know what happened int hat game in the second set that you were so upset about, regardless, my goodness YOU PLAYED MASTERFULLY!!!! and Nadal knows it. Thank you for an exciting Saturday morning...on to do my errands now. See you in Rome :D
05/07/2011 | 07:26 PM
Believe in yourself again. That's it. The rest will come. Keep going champ.
05/07/2011 | 07:24 PM
Roger you are the best ever for me, but history will have to judge nadal as the better player between the two you given his 100% win advantage over you. Your grand slam advantage overall keeps fueling the GOAT debate; however if nadal does get more there then that debate will be over. I will always consider you the best given your elegant game; but history may not. Regardless, what must be admired about you is your constant desire to still play and win. Here is my only suggestion:
05/07/2011 | 07:10 PM
Dear Roger, you played a great match, even though you didn't win. You had your chance, he is definitely not unbeatable on clay, I believe you will beat him next time. Good luck in Rome