Sixth Grand Slam final in series

10.09.2006 | Tennis

Roger crushed Nikolay Davydenko 6-1 7-5 6-4 in the semi-final, looking for his third consecutive title at the US Open. He defeated the Russian seventh seed in 1hr 43min to become the first man in the Open era to reach six straight Grand Slam finals.

"I played a great first set and I thought I played really well today," said Roger. "Again in the final is a great feeling and it's great to be in the final of all four majors this year." He will certainly not have an easy task tomorrow as there will be several thousand spectators cheering for his opponent – Andy Roddick (USA/ 9).

He set the tone by breaking in the second game as he cruised through the first set in 22 minutes, keeping Davydenko off balance with a series of short, sliced backhands.  Davydenko recovered early breaks in the second and third sets, but it was not enough to stop Roger cruising through to tomorrow's (AEST) Sunday against ninth-seeded American Andy Roddick or another Russian, Mikhail Youzhny.

Davydenko had never beaten Roger in seven previous meetings, though he pushed him to a fourth-set tiebreak in their last match, in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open. He was never allowed to find his rhythm as Roger varied the pace and angle of his attacks.

"In Australia, I had control from the baseline but today he was hitting too fast," said Davydenko. "Today was short points and he tried to hit faster. It's really different tennis. He's No.1. That's why I think he's winning everything, because he plays completely different."

Having reached his second grand slam semi-final, Davydenko said he is satisfied with his efforts. "Okay, I'm happy to be in the semi-finals. I am disappointed with my play, but not for losing."

09/11/2006 | 02:32 AM
Congratulations Roger! That was so amazing!!!!
You should be very happy! Go out and celebrate tonight at a nice restaurant in NYC!
I loved the way you played! A very dominant win! Back to back Wimbledon and US Open in 3 years! OMG! Your the only person
09/11/2006 | 02:27 AM
Oh my GOD!!!!
I am soooooooooooooooooooo pleased that i can't stop my hands in congratulating u. That was really incrediable victory against RODDIC.

!!!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

once again, now only prayers come from heart, that s
09/11/2006 | 02:20 AM
HELLO ROGER, THE CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS!!!

I AM SOOO MUCH HAPPY THAT I CAN'T TELL U. I WANT TO CONGRATULATE U AGAIN AND AGAIN.

WELL THAT WAS REALLY A WONDERFUL MATCH. IN THE FIRST SET U WERE JUST AMAZING AS ALWAYS,
BUT IN THE SECOND SET RODDIC,
09/11/2006 | 02:04 AM
HI ROGER FEDERER! I AM KASHIF ZIA FROM PAKISTAN. THE SITE IS NOT UPDATED TILL NOW AS I HAVE JUST SEEN FINAL OF US OPEN IN WHICH U EMERGED AS A CHAMPION. MANY MANY CONGRATULATIONS TO U CHAMP. U HAVE REALLY PROVED THAT THERE IS NO PLAYER OF YOUR CALIBRE PLA
09/11/2006 | 01:52 AM
Well, you've done it! You've made history again. ; ) Congratulations on your win, Rog (cheered by the number 1 golfer, no less)! It's just amazing how you consistently play your best out there and how you always stay calm and not get affected (or seem to
09/11/2006 | 01:48 AM
CONGRATULATIONS ROGER....I am so very happy for you and your team. You played a great game...I loved the return of serves and all your magnificient winners. I think this win is an emotional one for you (as it should be). Again, I am soooo happy for you
09/11/2006 | 01:46 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
THIRD USOPEN TITLE!!!ROGER,U R THE HISTORY!!!

LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!

irene
09/11/2006 | 01:45 AM
Dear Roger!
CONGRATULATIONS for winning The US Open title - 3 in a row! What a match , what a way to W I N !I just have no words. It was brilliant perfomance from the start to the end, so strong, so confident!
You are the G R E A T Champion!
Thank
09/11/2006 | 01:28 AM
Big Congratulations Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You've won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09/11/2006 | 01:25 AM

CONGRATULATIONS, ROGER!
You are incredible! Unbelievable! Phenomenal!
Three Grand Slams in one year for the second time and Wimbledon/US double for a record third consecutive time. You bring your fans so much joy. THANKYOU from the bottom of my heart,