Roger starts strong in Cinci

17.08.2011 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger dominated in his return to Cincinnati, taking the second round match against Juan Martin del Potro 6-3, 7-5 in 92 minutes.

“I expected a tough match with Juan Martin for obvious reasons, and it went better than I thought,” Roger said. “I thought I played a wonderful first set and a very good second set, too. That was obviously enough tonight. I don’t think I really allowed Juan Martin to be able to play the game he usually plays.”

It is our champ's first victory over del Potro since the 2009 French Open. It also marked their first meeting on American soil since Del Potro won against Roger for the 2009 US Open title.

Roger raced to a 4-1 lead in the first set, serving strong and firing a total of 12 aces during the match. Del Potro managed to defend five break points in the second set, but could not hold through until the end, making an unforced error on match point.

Roger will now play James Blake in the round of the last 16.

08/19/2011 | 07:45 PM
Hi! Does anyone know how on which TV channel I can watch the quarter-final (and hopefully the semi-final) from Switzerland? Any of the Eurosport channels? Can't seem to find any Cincy coverage!
08/19/2011 | 08:29 AM
I was lucky enough to stay up and watched it. Congratulations !!
08/19/2011 | 07:38 AM
Congratulations!
Dear Roger,

Start strong is good
it meaned that you are ready to win
be yourself, play the way you win today
go through the 17th.

Always,
@^.^@
08/19/2011 | 07:16 AM
Come on Roger the next is Berdych, please beat him, always with you!!!
08/19/2011 | 05:03 AM
As Carl Lewis said “Scientists have proven that it's impossible to long-jump 30 feet, but I don't listen to that kind of talk. Thoughts like that have a way of sinking into your feet".

It doesnt matter what media or anyone else says about you, We as fans believe that you can still do it! So just carry on your good form and believe in yourself.

Our best wishes are with you!.My tribute to you and all those who believe in you including me: http://bit.ly/oC6b3q
Go Roger!!!
Prove every1 wro
08/19/2011 | 04:44 AM
Congratulations Roger, excelent match. You were aggressive, sharp and very efective. Go on strong, focused and positive.
I whish you best luck in quarters against Berdich!!! Yo can defeat him.
Go on.
08/19/2011 | 04:36 AM
FELICIDADES ROOOO, EXITOS EN EL PROXIMO.
08/19/2011 | 04:34 AM
Roger,
It's very nice for you to wave at us whenever you were signing your name on the len of the camera, I always waved back to you. Even you don't see I was waving, but it shows that you care for all of you fans. All the tennis player don't do that. This is your trademark to acknowledge to you fans. Good Luck. Focus and footwork.
08/19/2011 | 04:03 AM
roger!!! I love you!!!
08/19/2011 | 03:56 AM
Your tennis has been so delightfull this last two days, keep it that way and the crown will be yours again, if you can go the distance to the U.S open with this tennis, which you obviously can and will do evaerything will fall back to normal. The best of lucks for you against berdych tomorrow, make him regret having beaten you in 2010's wimbledon.