Roger just makes it

06.10.2006 | Tennis

Roger survived quite a scare from Takao Suzuki – ranked 1,078 – in his quarter final match. He prevailed 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 after being pushed to the limit by an inspired Japanese wildcard, who was playing his first tournament in nine months.

"I could see the headlines," a relieved Federer told reporters. "'Federer loses to a guy outside the top 1,000.' I'm glad I won -- it saved my image."

It was a day of records in Tokio. Roger now already holds 1’346 points in the ATP race; one more than his last year’s best. Had Suzuki managed to defeat Roger, that would certainly also have made for a record!

Benjamin Becker, who had ended Andre Agassi’s last quest for the US Open title earlier this year pushed on and on in the night hours against Jiri Novak: The final result was 3-6, 6-3,7-6 (4) – and the time 3:24 in the morning! No match on the Tour had been finished as late as that before.

"I had to dig deep and come up with a good breaker in the end. There's always a fear of losing. It was a relief," Roger said. He now moved on to a semi-final encounter with either Finland's Jarkko Nieminen or German Benjamin Becker on Saturday.

10/07/2006 | 04:52 PM
good luck and play the invincible
10/07/2006 | 04:16 PM
roger is just awesome . and he is a gr8 fighter
in a class way above anyone
10/07/2006 | 02:40 PM
HEY ROGER!

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT TO THE JAPAN AIG OPEN FINALS!!!

Lol it's friend against friend on final court, hey? Don't worry, you'll be lifting that trophy tomorrow, it's destiny!!

Major congratulations on your AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING
10/07/2006 | 10:36 AM
What a fantastic victory Roger!
It's times like these when it seems impossible, difficult and way WAY challenging, that when you come through, it just feels so damn good and a HUUUUUUUUUGEEEEEE relief!
It was definitely a scare, but we can't really blam
10/07/2006 | 10:31 AM
Roger you suprised me.That was incredible.good luck in the semi's.Big HOORAY.From MARIo
10/07/2006 | 02:51 AM
PS: Please pay absolutely no attention to the selfish people who seem to think you owe them something and should therefore win every match with a double bagel. You don't owe anybody anything and have nothing to prove. You play because you love the game
10/07/2006 | 02:40 AM
Dearest Roger,

I am so proud of you! You once again proved that you are a true champion, emerging the victor despite facing a tough, unknown opponent who undoubtedly played the match of his life, AND in front of his home crowd! I'm proud of you for p
10/07/2006 | 01:32 AM
oh please!!!! u nearly lost to a player ranked 1000 something in the world thats disgusting .... get ur act together ... people are counting on u !!!.... by the way .. ur really handsome
10/07/2006 | 01:32 AM
10/07/2006 | 01:27 AM
I am so glad you won your match !!! I am reading your blogs every day from the ATP.com website and I enjoy them very much. You probably have no idea how many more fans you have who don't necessarily come to your site to post often! By the way, I h