Nerves of steel II

28.10.2006 | Tennis

Roger was pushed by Paradorn Srichaphan (ATP 54), to a most narrow 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5) victory in Basel. It was his 23rd straight match and Roger had his home crowd roaring several times as he almost faced defeat.

Srichaphan showed a most constant performance and challenged Roger throughout the entire match. Overcoming a few lows, Roger also displayed some magic at times and once again proved that his nerves are as good as it gets.

Runner-up at the Swiss Indoors in 2000 and 2001, Roger has never captured a title at his hometown. He missed this event that last two years because of injury. So let’s hope he can go all the way tomorrow. Roger has scored 24 aces so far, for each of which the local Bank Sarasin will donate CHF 1,000, or approx. 630 euros, for a good cause.

Roger will be playing Fernando Gonzalez (ATP 7) in the final in Basel. The Chilean improved to 4-0 all-time against the second remaining Swiss player, Stanislas Wawrinka, who had upset the second- seeded David Nalbandian in Friday's quarterfinals.

Gonzalez, the Basel defending champion, downed unseeded Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka 6-4, 6-4 on Saturday to reach his third straight final. In addition to Madrid, Gonzalez reached the finale in Vienna, but is still trying to capture his first title of the season.

10/29/2006 | 08:09 PM
DEAR ROGER

wow wow wow wow wow wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
congratulations Mr perfect for the 11th title and 44th title in sum of all,i hope it reach to 100
your match was incridible and you play in a fantastic way,keep on doing this
I am really e
10/29/2006 | 06:50 PM
I think that this new trophy has a sentimental value added for you. Congratulations my idol. A hug
10/29/2006 | 06:46 PM
Kia Ora Roger,
Congratulations, well done, TUMEKE (Too Much) on your fine achievement in winning your 11th title and what a sweet victory in front of your hometown supporters and loved ones. I'm so haapy for you, and the pity is that I along with with so
10/29/2006 | 06:40 PM
Congratulations Roger!!!!

YOU DID IT AT HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love you always,

Mirta
10/29/2006 | 06:32 PM
Hi, my dear Rog (Leo). I will be very short in my congrats... Get ready for the trophey. I am sure that Gonzales will learn his lesson...

Hugs and kisses, your fan Rita from New York
10/29/2006 | 06:29 PM
YOU ARE ONE AWESOME TENNIS PLAYER CONGRATULATIONS ON WINNING THE TITLE linda lou
10/29/2006 | 06:16 PM
nailbiting but was glad to see you go through. i have just found out that you won the title--greart achievement from the ball boy to the chaampionship. well done roger you now deserve good rest before next match maybe minor yoga and pranayam/relaxation wi
10/29/2006 | 06:15 PM
Thanks Sumar,

I guess I'll be the second then...CONGRATS!!!

Ager
10/29/2006 | 06:07 PM
Let me be the first to congratulate you on beating Gonzalez in yet another final. You are the Master!
Love Sumar
10/29/2006 | 06:03 PM
Paradorn did pushed you far, 1-set each & a tight tiebreak in the third...this must have been a great match to watch...I guess pulling yourself out from tight matches had been your forte...just like you did against Soderling in Madrid.

Good luck for th