Roger soars into semis

08.11.2012 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger continued to lord it with a straight-sets victory over David Ferrer. The defending champion is the first man to confirm his passage into the knockout rounds, though he does still need to beat Juan Martin del Potro tomorrow to make sure that he finishes top of his group. While Group A has been tightly contested, Group B resembles the nearby landscape of South-East London, with Roger looming over his would-be rivals like the Shard. He proved that again on Thursday at the Barclays ATP tournament, beating David Ferrer 6-4, 7-6 and advancing to the semi-finals with a group match to spare despite struggling with his serve and scrambling to stay in the long rallies.

"I've been very successful over the years. Probably won most titles indoors, maybe more than all the other guys combined," said our champ, who called it a natural surface for him. "But that doesn't make me the best this week." Roger made only 53 percent of his first serves against Ferrer. And in his first two service games alone, he was forced to save six break points. But he did save them, and three others, while getting broken only once."I definitely needed a good second serve, especially in the first set," Roger said. "I didn't have that many serves in play the way I wanted to. Either the rhythm was off a bit or I wasn't pushing enough with the legs or whatever it might have been. Ferrer showed why he's so tough to beat. He makes you hit the extra shot. He makes it physical". You know that mentally he's not going to go anywhere." With the victory, Roger improved his record over Ferrer to 14-0. In 10 years of facing each other, Ferrer has won only three sets against the 17-time Grand Slam champion.Roger is looking for his seventh title at the season-ending event for the top eight players in the world. He is chasing his 3rd straight title at the O2 Arena.

03/27/2013 | 04:27 PM
ESTOY DE ACUERDO!!! ROGER ES EL MEJOR DE TODOS!!!!!
11/15/2012 | 09:11 AM
at all Roger is the greatest player of tennis we should respect him at any cost
11/10/2012 | 06:10 PM
the bad backhand and UEs could be due to tiredness. But the issu of being unable to break goes really far back. it has nothng to do with tiredness
11/10/2012 | 06:09 PM
@Acejumper, u should go to Novak, Andy, Thomas, Miros,...as your will. Even players like Stan, Nico, Richard, Grigor, Mikhail, Tommy never won a grandslam, their single hand backhand is joyful to watch. Mayb one day single hand backhand will be extinct, i still prefer to watch it in the museum. @Boting,u should leave too cos u want only a win match.
11/10/2012 | 06:07 PM
i dont think we need to worry abt the UEs. Thats how roger needs to play. Keep going for his shots. He cant rally against guys 5-6 yrs younger than him. What I am worried abt is how our champ is unable to break esp when hes 0-30 on opponets serve. instead of gng for his shots then he just slices loopy returns and just w8s for opponent to make a mistake. Also today he lost hi serve in the final set after leading 30-0.
11/10/2012 | 05:39 PM
Hey Acejumper! You're are bloody looser!!! I pitty you, for what kind of life you have! Your childhood must be sad and shameful! Let me guess, you were always picked & bullied by everyone! I'm not surprise, coz a person like you must be an embarrassment to your family. Get a life, will you?
11/10/2012 | 05:31 PM
\o/ \o/ \o/ allez!!
11/10/2012 | 05:31 PM
\o/ \o/ \o/ allez!!
11/10/2012 | 05:31 PM
Yes Federer san, go with your plan. You are doing great.
The best tomorrow.
One way or the other you are my best always!!
11/10/2012 | 05:29 PM
Dear Roger
In this match you didn't play your best and I think you had to! But Delpo was not as good as you didn't play your game! My impression is that Roger didn't want to push to hard! That TB! Awful for the best tennis player in the world! Why? We don't have an answer.
I hope you can win Murray nevertheless he plays well. If you do your best, you can win this tournamnt!
Wish you all the best and good luck dearest Roger!
Go, Roger, goooooooooooooooo!