Roger loses final to Roddick

13.01.2007 | Tennis

Roger had to experience a defeat against Andy Roddick. The defending champion Roddick picked up a 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 win Saturday over Roger in the final of the invitational Kooyong Classic. However, the result of the exhibition match doesn't count on their official records.

Roger remains 12-1 officially in his career against Roddick and looked good in patches in the second set on the weekend before he begins his Australian Open title defense.

"It was hard conditions, and against Andy I knew that if the wind was going to be blowing, that it's going to be really hard from the baseline, so I decided, instead of breaking my rhythm, I would rather come to the net and try something else and try to play a little bit this way. Because already it's hard to return his serve. But in this wind, on my own serves, to battle along, it's not just great fun, so I decided to change it up a bit. It worked pretty well, gave me the idea that I have that option as well." Roger said.

Roddick was happy to win his first match against Roger, of course,  but didn’t want to overrate it, either.

"I think it needs to be done on a big stage before you put too much emphasis on it." Roddick stated.

Despite the loss, Roger said he was happy with his preparation for the first Grand Slam of the year.

"I'm feeling good - I feel like I'm ready," he said. "It's a shame I couldn't win ... but it was good preparation." Roger said.

His focus now is on defending his title at the Autralian Open to reach for the 10th Grand Slam title in his carreer. The task is not too easy though as he was drawn in a difficult half.

"I think it's a fair draw. I have good players in my sections. I think Youzhny is an excellent player, Djokovic is an excellent player, and the guy I play first round, I lost to him in '99, I've never beaten him. We'll see what happens. I feel good about my chances, obviously. But Grand Slam is a long story so I have to attack it in a good way and hopefully play a good opening match."

01/15/2007 | 05:36 AM
Hi Rog,
It's 8:30pm (15:30 in Melbourne) and you're
"Back in the Saddle Again !". Yippie cai-o cai-a.
Must feel good.
See ya LIVE Wednesday! Good luck!
Fraserer
01/15/2007 | 05:08 AM
Hi, my dear Rog (Leo),

You did absolutely marveoulosly trying to learn from your loss to our Andy. You are right: it was a good preparation. It is always better to learn from your opponents than to be upset about it.

Good luck. I know you are rea
01/15/2007 | 04:52 AM
Did not see the match, but Roger, NOT GOOD NEWS !
Not because you lost to Andy once in a blue moon, but because his pattern is, he god a real coach, and he is getting better.

Anyway, as allways, Good Luck, Health and Happiness.

Simi.
01/15/2007 | 04:32 AM
Hey Roger! Kick ass at the aussie open. cheers mate; haha.
01/15/2007 | 02:28 AM
why do you play with a watch?
good luck in the australian open
01/14/2007 | 11:51 PM
Dearest Roger,

I am happy that you had a good practice with Roddick and tried out some new things and I hear that you thrilled the audience with your sublime game.

I wish you all the luck in the world against Phau!

Love,

Sadhana
01/14/2007 | 10:35 PM
Well, Roger we cannot have everything! so they say, at least this is a good warm-up. Never mind, if you lose to Andy R. Let's give him a bit happiness and confidence once in a while, cos how many times you've beat him and really gets frustrated with your
01/14/2007 | 10:05 PM
Finally someone kicks Roger's proud ASS!!!!!
01/14/2007 | 09:45 PM
Roger....don't worry about this match...the GS is next and that is the most important thing. I sure wish you would have beaten Andy...I really like to see him lose.
All the best for your GS,
Rachie from Texas
01/14/2007 | 09:07 PM
Hi Roger!!!

First of all i want to say that, when ever u play u either lose or win, it's a part of the game.

Don't take it seriously as it was not such a big match,

rather u should have to concentrate on the Big event, me and all ur fans love u,