Roger defends his title!

28.01.2007 | Tennis

It is real – Roger overcame an inspired Fernando Gonzalez to win the Australian Open finals 7-6 (2), 6-4, 6-4 capturing his 10th Grand Slam title! 15’400 spectators in Rod Laver Arena experienced a haunting Grand Slam final between our champion and a very agile and aggressive playing Gonzalez. But Roger once again showed his brilliance and is the first to win a title on a major tournament without dropping a set since Bjorn Borg in 1980. He now has been undefeated for the last 36 official matches, which is a personal record.

Roger, who was rather nervous at the beginning, struggled with windy conditions and was about to drop the first set when Gonzalez had two set points at own serve. In this crucial moment, Roger was able to turn the tide and broke Gonzalez to 6-6, forcing him into tiebreak. Roger rebounded quickly and showed his concentration and dominance prevailing the opening set 7-6 (2).

It then was about who would make fewer mistakes and the advantage went to Roger, who controlled the match thenceforward. Gonzalez committed nine more unforced errors than Roger and three times he double-faulted.

Keeping his service game consistent, Roger delivered winners 82 percent of the time on his first serve while his second serve resulted in winners an impressive 76 percent of the time.

“I’m happy that I was able to win the match in straight sets, although spectators sometimes wish to see a match over five sets.” Roger said. “Fighting off Gonzalez’ set points and dominating in the tiebreak was deciding for the match. Gonzalez played different today so it was kind of difficult to read his game at the beginning. But then I new Gonzalez would have to react after the first set and that’s how I got back at control.”

Roger improved his career record to 10-0 against Gonzalez but clearly this was the most difficult victory. Our champion was coming off a 6-4, 6-0, 6-2 dismantling of Andy Roddick and facing an opponent who had never played in a Grand Slam semifinals match much less a finals before play began at the 2007 Australian Open. It took him two hours and twenty minutes to finally shake the ninth ranked Gonzalez and capture the Australian Open Championship. The victory pushed Roger’s all time record in Grand Slam final’s events to 10-1.

04/26/2008 | 08:46 PM
Tanto l'anno prossimo non arrivi manco in finale!!!!!!!
02/07/2007 | 10:47 AM
well done and many congratulations on your win in Melbourne. It was thrilling to see you play such exquisite tennis and I felt privileged to see such fine matches - especially the semi against Roddick. What a magical evening that was!
Susanna.
02/06/2007 | 09:39 AM
much too late...but still..from heart..congs Rog....
02/03/2007 | 09:19 PM
Dearest Roger,

Looks like I am one of the last ones to congratulate you on your great achievement in winning your 10th Grand Slam in style and in straight sets too!!! I cannot tell you how happy you have made me and all the fans. I feel pure joy when y
02/03/2007 | 06:06 PM
Fernando G. played well but Roger F.you played much better which resulted you being the champion.
Congratulations, truly an amazing feat of tennis.
Everyone must be hoping to see new records of grand slam titles surpassing Pete S.
Nevertheless, thi
02/03/2007 | 08:40 AM
Hi Roger,

Belated congratulations on your victory! I was travelling while you were making history on court. I taped the match at home and will be excited to see it when I get home. I am very happy for you. Congratulations again!! I am hoping to se
02/03/2007 | 06:18 AM
Dear Rogi,
That match was fantastic, especially the match against Roddick. Many many CONGRATULATIONS! I think this is the year that you also will win the FRENCH OPEN! Can't wait for May! all the BEST!
02/03/2007 | 12:35 AM
Dear Roger:

Way to go!, I am very happy for you tenth grand slam, hope you can win Roland Garros this year. The best of lucks.

Robert

P.S. What a fantastic shot you hit at match - point. Genious!
02/02/2007 | 11:03 PM
That was one of the greatest wins of yours,Roger!I can't describe in words how great is for us to see you winning so beautifully again!You're definately the best tennis player of all time.Keep going,everyone is with you!
02/02/2007 | 08:38 PM
Felicidades Roger Federer eres el mejor, demostraste que sabes controlar los momentos dificiles, y eso dice que eres el mejor, sin duda seras el mejor de todos los tiempos, no hay nadien que se iguale a ti FELICIDADES roger Vamos por Paris a conkistar FRa