A perfect start

24.06.2013 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger made a perfect start into the tournament in Wimbledon with a 6-3, 6-2, 6-0 win over Victor Hanescu.

Looking back at his first title in 2003, Roger commented: "It's slightly different. Nine years ago when I came out the first time, it was the most special thing in the world. It still feels amazing. It was an absolute pleasure playing on Centre Court."

Roger found his rhythm right from the start, winning 90 percent of the points when he put his first serve in. He scored seven aces and just six unforced errors. In the final set, Roger left a mere 4 points for Hanescu to score.

Our champ will now meet Sergej Stachowski (ATP 116) in round two. Roger clearly won the only match between them so far.

06/26/2013 | 11:23 PM
1st service percentage...its just you lost to a one hit wonder...a bit like Doohan against Becker in 1987.Its just a game...no one got hurt and you'll get up to fight another day because you want to and you still love tennis.Unfortunately I won't see you now at Wimbledon.By the way I did meet you once,way back in 2001 in Gstaad.I was working at the Palace Hotel.I was surprised how well mannered you were and your good English.Still rooting for you...Let's go Roger let's go.Hopp Schwiiz.
06/26/2013 | 11:15 PM
There was a point in the match today that you looked as if you were thinking...well that's it I've tried everything to beat this guy,guess i'm going to lose...At least now you can go on another holiday and recharge the batteries for Cincinnati and the US Open.You've finally lost your 36 Slam consecutive unbeaten before the Quarters record....so relax now.Everybody is thinking you're finished and should retire.....They understand nothing,you played great out there...not many unforced errors,great
06/26/2013 | 10:37 PM
People stop panicking and about retirement. Roger is free now. He made NINE YEARS worth of QF at a GS, not just ATP 1000 tours, but 9 years worth of GS. That will maybe never be broken.

And when he lost the SF-streak, did he make no SF at all? No he made almost all of them. So after this he will make a lot QF too, he now just does not have the burden of it. He can play freely. And look at today, he played amazing, he just did not win.

Roger will now play without pressure/burden/recordburden
06/26/2013 | 10:16 PM
RAMCHARAN STOP STOP STOP !!! YOUR COMMENT TO ME AT 09:33 PM

When did I ever say Roger should retire?? Don't you know my comments by now??
I AM ROGER'S DIE HARD FAN and I hope he will play until he is 45.

Where did you get the idea that I want him to retire??? Have you looked at my comments before you wrote yours at 09:33 PM???

Aap mere bare me aise kaise soch sakte hain? Mein iehn bewaqoofe me se nahin hoon jo chate hai ke Roger retire ho jai. Aap ye mere bare me kaise soch sakte hain??
06/26/2013 | 10:13 PM
"You know how stunned you're feeling that Roger Federer has gone out of Wimbledon? Triple it and you're about where Federer seems to be right now. He looks pained, shocked, devastated...times a million. He's speaking in calm and measured terms, but this is hurting him deeply." We stand by you Roger always thers for you...
06/26/2013 | 10:12 PM
I think he'll end the year at No 4, 5 or 6 based on his performance for the rest of the year... But ranking doesn't matter. It seems to make no difference even if he meets a Djoko, Murray, Nadal in the QF. There are many dangerous players out there who are ready to give all they have, to beat these guys...
06/26/2013 | 10:12 PM
Hats off to the way you have shown all of us that real champ can win by defeat !!!
Never, absolutely never, do not change anything ...
Love tennis to the last breath !!!
06/26/2013 | 10:03 PM
Hard luck Roger :( ... but brush it aside lets target the US open.. you are still the best !! We will always believe in you!
06/26/2013 | 10:01 PM
Anyways rest your minds fans, it's a tough loss but I sense he will play with more freedom in the next grandslam since he has no quarter-final burden. This might be a blessing in disguise. Roger always surprises us, maybe we will be less critical of him now that the streak is over, vent our frustrations a bit, but go to sleep knowing that a month from now, Federer will still be on court, that's something to be thankful about.
06/26/2013 | 10:00 PM
Pressure on Roger in the rest part of the season = (nearly) Zero

Since he got only one more tournament last year after Wimbledon, hope this will be good for Roger for the rest of the season.