Roger celebrates with a victory

26.02.2007 | Tennis

Roger today managed to celebrate his record-breaking run at the top of the world rankings by securing a place in the second round of the Dubai Tennis Championships. He dropped his first set of 2007 but recovered to beat Kristian Pless in the first round in Dubai 7-6(2), 3-6, 6-3.

Even though he was clearly struggling with his game, Roger still found a way to win, breaking in the fourth game of the deciding set to edge through to a meeting with either Austrian qualifier Oliver Marach or Italian Daniele Bracciali.

"I am always happy when I win, it's great to be back in Dubai as I have had a great two years here but I usually struggle in the first round and this was no different," Roger said. "He was a tough opponent but I am glad to be through."

To his 161 consecutive weeks record Roger commented:"it's been a great run over the past 161 weeks and I hope I can keep it up.But the rest of the guys are working really hard to knock me off the top."

02/28/2007 | 11:28 PM
Kia Ora Roger,
Congratulations for your second round win over Bracciali. I'm glad you took this opportunity to fine tune your shots for the crucial matches to come, and hello to Dijkovic excuse the spelling but I think we all know who I mean. Also thank
02/28/2007 | 01:10 PM
hey i knew u could do it k best of luck for ur nxt matches

lots of luv
munaza*
02/28/2007 | 09:10 AM
congrates congrates v are very happy for you rogger keep it up
02/28/2007 | 08:19 AM
Well done Roger!!! What an awesome achievment! Good luck with the rest of the tournament, and especially the forth-coming clay court season! You can do it! All the best,

Will Kent.
02/28/2007 | 08:01 AM
Congratulations!! Another new record in the history book of tennis :D
02/28/2007 | 07:57 AM
Champ, the only thing that matters at the end of any of your tennis matches is that you've won and learned from your mistakes. You did both today, and I am as satisfied as you are.

Also, congratulations on your third consecutive nomination--and hopefu
02/28/2007 | 07:00 AM
Congrats Roger! Such a pity they are not showing the matches here but my two children and I are coming to watch you life in Miami and we wish you the best until then!! Marieke from Mexico
02/28/2007 | 06:48 AM
Congratulations ROGER!!!

A meeting of Dubai finally began! Because there was not your match for this one month, I was very lonely. In addition, I am glad that your tennis is seen. Because it is for there to be a match of a double this time, pleasure is
02/28/2007 | 06:27 AM
you are the one!
02/28/2007 | 05:44 AM
My dear Rog, I am so surprized: YOU PLAY DOUBLES AND WIN! Of course, singels group is exciting but shoud you win douples matches as well will be interesting particularly, after winning the Russians.

Congratulations and keep enjoying your GAME