Final vs. Hewitt

04.01.2014 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger has booked a spot in the Brisbane final after a 6-3, 6-7(3), 6-3 win over Jérémy Chardy (ATP 34).

Roger broke the Frenchman in the second game of the match, taking a 2-0 lead which he maintained to take the set. Neither of the players managed to score a break in the second set and it was Chardy who eventually claimed the set in the tiebreak (3-7). Roger secured another break towards the end of the decider, taking a 5-3 lead and then wrapping up the victory on his serve to love.

Roger will now meet an old rival - Lleyton Hewitt (ATP 60) - in Sunday's final.

Roger had already played Jérémy Chardy in the doubles the day before, Roger and Nicolas Mahut defeated Chardy and Grigor Dimitrov 7-6(3), 6-7(5), 11-9 in a tough match.

01/05/2014 | 12:04 PM
BOTING

Roger should have won the match. He did not. Kudos to Hewitt, but even he must know that the next time he will face Roger, it will NOT be this Roger.
Could you not see that there was something wrong?? I am not making excuses, but it is a fact. Maybe he was tired I don't know.
I am disappointed that he lost, but SO PROUD of Roger. He is not there yet, but he is getting there.

He has moved on, lets move on too. And please, let us not give up on Roger.
He does not deserve that from
01/05/2014 | 12:04 PM
BOTING

He has moved on, lets move on too. And please, let us not give up on Roger.
He does not deserve that from
01/05/2014 | 11:59 AM
BOTING

Did you read some of the comments or even mine?? I said in my comment that it WAS Roger's fault that he lost today. Seriously, Hewitt did not play that great.
But... what did you expect? He has a new racquet and will destroy everybody with bagels?? It takes time. That is why he said BEFORE Brisbane even started that it would take up to atleast April to get in full form. He is playing with a new racquet after 16 or 17 years. Let the man adjust to it.
01/05/2014 | 11:31 AM
cont
is under control. Mentally it very difficult to make major changes to one's life as instinct says that something should be done in a certain way but we know we need to do differently. I see this everyday in my profession [and life]
Roger you played very well in Brisbane --after a long break & major back problems I think that your high level of tennis surprised us--perhaps raising our expectations too high for todays final.
You will have a good 2014.
Kindest regards
Margaret
01/05/2014 | 11:13 AM
cont
inspiration re your tactics/whatever.All of this cannot be achieved in 5 minutes or 5 hours--takes time to adjust. Rod Laver has stated that it will take a few weeks to adjust to new racquet, Roger has said that he does not expect to be at his peak until March/April. NOW it is up to us, his fans to be patient AND not expect Roger Federer to win every tournament that he plays in.Be grateful that he has nil back issues--IMO will take time for him to gain full confidence that this problem
01/05/2014 | 11:03 AM
Hello Roger
You ARE a champion ,none of us know what it is like to be in your postion, the most talented and successful tennis player ever--won hundreds of records that perhaps will never be broken YET yes YET you would like to continue to play the game that you love so much.So often you have said that the passion remains within you. We ,your adoring fans world wide would like you to do so.
To fulfil your wish you have chosen to change your racquet, sought and hired Stefan Edberg for
01/05/2014 | 10:30 AM
I am sure there is better to come and if he sticks to it he will improve with the racquet.
I just hope there are no physical issues for him after this week, I have my suspicions!
In fact I had vague suspicions yesterday with the doubles, but as I was not watching I cannot comment, just a gut feeling! The positive is he made the finals in the singles which is far from being a disaster! Better luck next time Rogi and bigger titles are much better to win!
01/05/2014 | 10:26 AM
Looks like some people are still not get used to Federer's losses.
Always the same excuses and arguments.
01/05/2014 | 10:23 AM
Very upset for you Roger but honestly, after winning a good second set, in the third one, with more than 50 unforced erros, it was quite impossible to get the match vs a player like Hewitt who didn't play a so extraordinary match and he didn't not ever win by himself. Hewitt did not win the match but perhaps you lost it. However don't worry. It was just the first tournament of the year. I hope to see you in a better shape at the AO. P.S.: are you sure about your new racket?
01/05/2014 | 10:23 AM
I agree with KEMNA. Roger has always said it will take until March/April to get back into his full form and fitness. I also feel that changing his racquet is a major change and it will take more time than this for him to get used to the different power and balance and be able to hit the lines reliably like he did with the last. It has to get into his muscle and eye memory for it to become part of him. It could be that for the moment, when pressurised with a close game he will error with it!