Roger flies into quarters

20.01.2014 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger secured the last spot in the quarters of the Australian Open with a 6-3, 7-5, 6-4 victory over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

It took our champ under two hours to defeat the Frenchman, showing a flawless display with a variety of shots and great variety throughout, 43 winners, seven aces and 21 unforced errors. It is the 11th straight year our champ has reached the quarters in Melbourne and the 41st time in his career that he will play a quarter final at a major - Roger has level Jimmy Connors' record.

Next up is a quarter-final clash with Andy Murray on Wednesday, certainly a match to look forward to.

01/22/2014 | 08:41 PM
hey guys; Im gonna give you a great data fact: Roger has always won the tournaments where he has constantly had more winners to ue ratio!!!
01/22/2014 | 03:20 PM
KEMNA,dramadal is good As from today i call him blisterdal:-p
01/22/2014 | 02:34 PM
Hey Bhai, what about these names (I did not make them up, I saw it on other blogs):

Dull
Nadull
Dramadal

Unfortunately Roger also has: Dorkerer, Breakpointwasterer... And ofcourse GOAT
01/22/2014 | 02:22 PM
We want to see a repeat of WTF-2011 where you just outplayed that Blistering Barnacle.
01/22/2014 | 02:19 PM
Please remember Roger there is no rule in tennis to say you can only break someone once in every hundred or so break points! We like a good game but not when we have to be revived at very point and game. Do Lions play with their prey like cats do? Roger plays like that. Shall I break you now? , no maybe next time, but then again.....!
01/22/2014 | 02:11 PM
We are going to be very fit this week with all these victory dances and the drinks cupboard is going to take a hit. What with Stan and Roger, one each day. I toasted Stan last night, I had to, such a big step for him, tonight is a Rogers turn. Return of the Rogi ! Everyone in a very good mood here. Now for Roger to attack those blisters of Nadals. Dimitrov did a good job in 'improving' the blisters! Allez Rogi, keep it up!
01/22/2014 | 02:03 PM
Brilliant, Roger, just brilliant ! Do your game and be pitiless with Nadal !
This is your chance Maestro, take it !
Congratulations !
01/22/2014 | 02:02 PM
FANCYFREE I know your frustration. For me they were interviewing Roger in English. But I had the commentary talking over it in French, as I was watching a Swiss French channel. I can do one or the other but not both together! Even when on UK TV I watch on the Swiss channel. Cannot stand the banter which goes on with the English spoken channels. The Swiss guy has a lovely voice, quite gentle commentary and sticks to the facts with an occasional Allez Roger or a Stan.
01/22/2014 | 01:59 PM
KING ROGER!!!!
AND NOW WE ARE GOING TO WIN WITH RAFA!!!!
COME ON KING!!!
01/22/2014 | 01:52 PM
Last but not least able to pull this through take a good rest for the next one and
as you said in your intervieuw with Courier it will be b r u t a l .