Roger's streak snaps

12.03.2007 | Tennis

Guillermo Canas snapped Roger’s 41-match winning streak yesterday, beating our star 7-5, 6-2 in the third round of the Pacific Life Open.

"It was just a normal loss, like I've had about 100 times on tour," Roger commented. "That's normal to tennis. I have no problems. He played very well. I missed my chances. I think he played very well and I didn't think I was playing poorly at all. So it's OK."

Roger had arrived at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden having won seven tournaments in a row and was considered an odds-on favorite to break the record of 47 consecutive matches won by Guillermo Vilas of Argentina 30 years ago.

Canas, an Argentine who got into the tournament as a "lucky loser" from qualifying when Xavier Malisse withdrew, played more like a player who once was No. 8 in the world. Canas went up 6-5 in the first set with a service break and held to close out the set. During the break, Roger removed his shoes and summoned the ATP Tour trainer for the first of two times because of an undisclosed problem with his feet.

Roger stayed in the match for a while thereafter. But after he had a second visit from the trainer, Canas won the final three games of the set and threw open the championship.

"He was just a guy who put me away when he had to," Roger said of Canas. Roger is momentarily 3730 points ahead in the ATP ranking, a lead that will melt by 500 points but still stay comfortable. Next up is the tournament in Miami/Key Biscayne.

03/20/2007 | 12:53 PM
hey roger,
you are still no.1 in the world!!
we believe that you can be champion in Miami.
take care!! i am loking forward to seeing your play!!
03/20/2007 | 10:29 AM
I know you yourself must be now even more determined to break this record. i really felt bad when you lost. BEST OF LUCK for your next try. i am dead sure that you will make it this time.
03/20/2007 | 08:52 AM
its ok roger. u win some u loss some. there's still other tournament. there's miami and most of all the 3 other grand slams. keep urself fit for them, especially the french open.
03/20/2007 | 03:47 AM
Rogerr! even if you are Nº1 or Nº100000 i will love you anywaysss! you're the best not only in tenis, but as a person too
LOVE YOUU
Gaby
03/19/2007 | 03:47 PM
Never mind Rog, you'll break Vilas' record in a few months' time...
Now there is Miami to win, we are all waiting forward to seeing the RETURN OF THE KING!!
03/19/2007 | 11:09 AM
rogggerrrr nooo how can u have broken ur streak! i was so thinking that you'd kick that records a**! haha im just joking ur only human i know that you're just gunna get bak n beat that record so keep up the good work just believe =D
03/19/2007 | 09:22 AM
I've got the same idea as 'trinigal-'.
The 90% of comments are 'don't worry' -comments.I was one of them but I've started worry about you because many of top 10's were getting close to the final and Nadal took the trophy.
Roger,
I am just concerning th
03/19/2007 | 08:16 AM
Rogi!

Please tell me this is all part of your amazing plan for the year 2007! Is it? lol! Anyways, I hope you have much better luck in the next tourney my dear!

Kisses and Hugs!

Orissa
03/19/2007 | 02:49 AM
Roger, I had the pleasure of seeing you play live last week. You made some incredible shots throughout the match and as always it's a treat to watch you play. While I was very sad to see you lose, I admired how you were able to get right back up and play
03/19/2007 | 02:29 AM
MI QUERIDO ROGER

NO IMPORTA QUE HAYAS PERDIDO, POR QUE POR ALGO DICE QUE PERDER ES GANAR Y SE QUE HACI VAS A SEGUIR GANANDO PARTIDOS, TORNEOS Y SOBRE TODO BATIENDO RECORDS ASI QUE ANIMOS Y SIGUE ASI DE BIEN QUE ESTAMOS CONTIGO