10th anniversary no. 1

02.02.2014 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Today marks the 10th anniversary of Roger first becoming No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings on 2 February 2004. The abiding memory is of Roger dropping to his knees and raising his arms in celebration. It was 9:30 p.m. in Melbourne, on 30 January 2004, and he had just beaten his rival for No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, Juan Carlos Ferrero, in the Australian Open semi-finals. The victory proved to be enough for Roger to become the world’s premier player for the first time. Roger confessed, “I wanted to enjoy this moment. You only get to be No. 1 once.”

Read the entire article by the ATP World Tour here.

02/26/2014 | 06:41 PM
It's just 10 years of first No. 1 and still in top ten. That's fantastic work!!! GOO ROGER!!! GOO!!!
02/24/2014 | 06:56 PM
@CJM,

Absolutely! The question only seems to be how he will do against the absolute top ranked guys like Djokovic! If he plays free and relaxed tennis like today, he's definitely my favourite to beat Djoker!
02/24/2014 | 06:27 PM
SHATIR
Thank you.
I was just going by the closeness of the score and that the last two games, Roger was close to breaking Becker but did not quite manage it and then was taken to having to save break points in the last. It suggested that Becker was playing a lot better. The good news is Roger was in control and did it in two! Looking at that video of his tweener and accompanying shots, Roger was (and is ) magic. He certainly is moving well again and very quickly! That is good news!
02/24/2014 | 06:00 PM
@CJM,

There was no fightback by Becker in the second set.
Roger comfortably held serve every time and threatened Becker's serve when he missed his first serves.

When he was up 2 match points, Roger made 3 unforced errors to offer a break point, but quickly snuffed it out and closed out the match. Complete domination by Roger, and can't really complain about anything today!
02/24/2014 | 05:42 PM
Sigh, sorry, I didn't see it, I've just seen that Federer played today, and I wanted to see some highlights from his match and to share with you, my bad...
02/24/2014 | 05:41 PM
ADI1008
haha we shared the same thing on same time ;)
02/24/2014 | 05:40 PM
Until then, look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ILol6Ea3Y This is magic...
02/24/2014 | 05:40 PM
ADI1008
someone will put it on youtube..don't worry..you can always refer to the atpworldtour.com site for this purpose...And I just shared the best point of the match..I am 100% sure you will enjoy it :) :) :)
02/24/2014 | 05:40 PM
lovely game O GREAT ONE be lucky in the next x
02/24/2014 | 05:37 PM
:D peRFection personified :) :) :) :)