Roger in quarters

25.03.2014 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger defeated Richard Gasquet with a great performance today, booking a spot in the quarter finals in Miami with the 6-1, 6-2 victory.

Roger was in charge right from the start and easily secured the first set 6-1. He only had to be patient until 2-2 in the second set before scoring two breaks to wrap up the win in just 49 minutes.

Our champ will play his quarter final against Japan's Kei Nishikori (ATP 21) on Wednesday.

03/27/2014 | 08:40 AM
I did not see the match but I am picking up things here. When Roger is under pressure his serve does seem to crumble these days, when he needs it most. I can only imagine that to be lack of confidence and belief. It must be a mental thing, after all we all saw his amazing service stats a couple of days ago. Roger, it is ok, you reached quarters, probably no 4 ranking. You are going in the right direction!
03/27/2014 | 07:29 AM
I LOVE ROGER -

I WAS FORTUNATE TO WATCH HIS FINAL SET LIVE VS NISHIKORI - WHEN HE COULDN'T WIN THE POINTS HE SHOULD HAVE WON , AND WHEN HE LOST POINTS HE SHOULDN'T HAVE LOST , I FEARED THE WORST.

IT'S ALWAYS MENTAL - HIS BELIEF WAS GONE IN THE 3RD SET.

NISHI WON BECAUSE HE PLAYED TO HIS OWN TENNIS INTELLIGENCE/BELIEF, AND BECAUSE ROGER DID NOT PLAY UP TO HIS OWN HIGH STANDARD/HIS SERVE ALSO FELL OFF.

WHEN YOU HAVE NO FIRST SERVE IN PRO TENNIS, YOU'RE ALWAYS LABOURING

YUKI
03/27/2014 | 07:23 AM
If you look at the rankings... not much separates the no5-no9 ranked players, point wise.
03/27/2014 | 07:19 AM
How quick are the non believers especially sport journalist comments turn from positive to negative. How little faith people have. I believe in you our Maestro. I think you know very well what to do. Your team will be there to back you up. All your fans will be there to support you. I believe in you. SO far so good.
What a jump from no. 8 to no. 4 in such a short time. How dare people say anything negative. YOU SIR deserve a big hug and applaud. Please stay healthy.
03/27/2014 | 07:19 AM
03/27/2014 | 07:16 AM
Roger, so so sorry about your loss. I feel a little sad. But on the other hand, I think you can look back on a wonderful time in Miami. And now you are back in the top 4. So that is a good thing. For you and for us. Taking little steps to the top; that's the goal for 2014. You did so great in Miami. Your movements were amazing and some of your shots were out of this world. I'm so proud to be your fan and I cherish every moment seeing you play.xoxoxo
03/27/2014 | 07:14 AM
TO me you did well. Much better than last year. You just recovered from a long back problem. You just adjusted to a new racket. How well you are doing. SO please please do not worry. Carry on , just do it.
In fact I am glad you are not over doing it now. It is a marathon. A long season ahead. Please save your healthy and energy.
I am so glad you are healthy. Stay happy. Enjoy it. Better results will come.
Practice more. Now you know what to fix those weaker links. Love always
03/27/2014 | 07:13 AM
Dear IDOL,
Congrats for entering top four. Hope it will be secured with Berdych's defeat. I would like to suggest three things here
1.Please play Monte Carlo as you have more rest days.
3.Please please take first service% higher, bring back the confidence on which once you said "you can serve well even when you are sleeping"
2.Please somehow grow the killer instinct in lack of which you are losing few matches.
All the best.
Love & Respect.
03/27/2014 | 07:01 AM
cont..
4.You were not going for kill when you are at break point. Same you did in IW when you were 6-5 up in third set. Here you did same in 2nd game of first set.
5.Also felt you were not mentally prepared for the match, may be timing of the match.
6.Now it is obvious this whimsicality of Roger's level needs to be attended to.
03/27/2014 | 06:55 AM
In the last game, Federer was down 0-40 on his serve... strangest thing I've seen in a long time.