Rafa beats Roger in straight sets

22.04.2007 | Tennis

Rafael Nadal beat Roger 6-4, 6-4 Sunday to win his third straight Monte Carlo Masters title and extend his winning streak on clay to 67. It is his eighth Masters Series title and he has not been beaten on clay since April 2005.

The left-handed Spaniard, who did not drop a set in the tournament, is the first man since Ilie Nastase (1971-1973) to win the Monte Carlo title for the third year in a row.

"It is an honour to be up against Roger here in Monte Carlo and to win for the third time," Rafa admitted after the win.

Roger made 38 unforced errors - half on his forehand - and the Spaniard won on his second match point when the world number one sent a backhand long.

"Congratulations to Rafa," said Roger. "What he has achieved is fantastic. I will try again to beat him in Rome, Hamburg and here in Monte Carlo next year."

05/02/2007 | 03:34 AM
I watched the match and it seems to me that Roger would win if he switched tactics. Rather than trying to hit the ball hard and make winners, play for long points and sneak into the net. Rafa only wins because he gets Roger to make errors.
05/01/2007 | 11:25 AM
Never mind,Roggie!Besides we all know you are the champion of the champions!I love you very very much!This is for you:Sometimes...I feel so far away...and I know I am...but...I love you so much... I can almost reach you...!
Please,Roger,come here in Gree
04/30/2007 | 07:28 PM
Hi Roger!
I watch many of your Nadal matches on Tv and one Live (Shanghai SF 06).
I think you need to add little more variety on the baseline and net. Also, hit to the nadal forehand side to open up the court. Face your fear! Goodluck on your next to
04/30/2007 | 01:30 PM
Dear Roger,
I didn't like to read what your fans wrote to you when you're defeated, both supporting and disoppointed. I mean I'd like to read about how great you are and your successful. I feel like you're still defeated by the same persons ,always, th
04/30/2007 | 12:44 PM
Relax roger it seemes toyou are geting closer and closer Rafa
It will be good too French Open!
/You´re biggest fan ever!
04/30/2007 | 11:41 AM
Rogiiiiiie its okay! Well hard luck i know you will beat him next time i know it! but u still have to know that u're still the best and you are the 1st on the ATP tennis rankings! i love you!! good luck next time
xx
04/30/2007 | 09:29 AM
you are my god whatever you do i wish to copy you in every possible way that i could so plz do keep winning best of luck
04/30/2007 | 02:24 AM
Roger is tied with Nadal on hard 2:2,actually,Silvia...Nadal won Barcelona with a flow...Who can stop him on clay?Injury,maybe?
04/29/2007 | 09:36 PM
Dear Roger,
Now I'm thinking more and more that the grass season will come and all will be more beautiful and easier; of course it's only a dream because the clay season only starts and it's sssssssssssssssssssooooooooooooooooooo long. However I want yo
04/29/2007 | 07:28 PM
Rafa is really looking dangerous at Clay right now. Also he has changed his equipment this year for Clay surface though his playing style is same except that he has more confidence...

Roger, do whatever it takes to WIN FO this year! I think your back-h