Roger eases into round three

30.08.2014 | Tennis, Starseite 1

Roger has made it into the third round of the US Open without dropping a set, defeating big-hitting Australian Sam Groth 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

“I thought I did pretty well from the start. I could have maybe been a bit better on my serve, but I thought it was an exciting match,” he commented.

Roger did not get into too much trouble with Groth's serves of up to 237 km/h. He earned break-balls right from the start and managed to convert to go 4-3 up and hold serve to take the set. He opened the second set with another break, only for Groth to do the same right afterwards. Roger broke again to go 5-4 up in games and then 2-0 in sets. In the third, Roger suddenly fouund himself trailing 2-4, only to secure 4 games in a row and then seal the victory after 1:48h of play.

He will now play Marcel Granollers (ATP 42) on Sunday for a place in the round of the last 16. He has won both encounters with the Spaniard so far.

09/01/2014 | 03:57 PM
Thanks THEREALMRSRF! Late reply but was too tensed while Rogers match and I got what I asked for :)
09/01/2014 | 08:30 AM
Very well done Roger in most difficult conditions. You really showed your supreme fitness out there! I will watch the recording, I think I have a treat in store from what I read and have seen! I watched up to the storm. I felt you were just beginning to get into your game at that point. What I do remember which amused me, was you balancing the ball on the back of your head. I relaxed seeing that, you were certainly not worried about being a break down, so why should I be? ! Enjoy a rest Roger!
09/01/2014 | 06:11 AM
And about Dimitrov, yes he is playing better than ever and has improved a lot, but I'm not sure if he'll have the mental fortitude to beat Roger here.
Maybe Federer in 4, if not in straight sets. But let's remember Monfils is always tricky and he can take out Dimitrov no doubt. Monfils-Federer would be a good (and tricky for Roger) match too.
09/01/2014 | 06:08 AM

I'm glad Roger didn't look tired at all in his press conference. He was really relaxed and even said he felt 'explosive' and had very good feelings in his last 3 matches.
His first 2 matches were not his best, but it's important that he feels he is capable.

Today he showed us he can up his game when he wants. If he plays like this next week he will reach the final no doubt.
09/01/2014 | 05:12 AM
woke up to good news - thrilling to read comments "backwords" :-) Can't wait to see videos and so on...Congratulations, Roger, great great one!
09/01/2014 | 05:03 AM
Anyone watching Goffin v Dimitrov? What happened in the first set?
09/01/2014 | 04:31 AM
so happy for u and for me and for all of us. Yes !!
09/01/2014 | 03:51 AM
Masterclass, a masterclass dear Roger!
Great win. Congrats Maestro !
Thank you for the joy!!
09/01/2014 | 03:42 AM
☆ Bravo Roger! Sensational match! Not had time to rainstorms to cool your game, you're so amazing, nothing makes taking your focus from great champion fighter you are! You know how to react all situations and adversity, a true lion warrior, strong and determined! You fly wondeRFul on the court! I love your aces! It is so beautiful your outfit, everything about you is so lovely! Have a well deserved night's rest! All the best to the next round! ☆

☼ Best wishes always! ☼

BIA – BRAS
09/01/2014 | 03:36 AM
I am just watching Gasquet and Monfils at the moment. I know that Gasquet sweats heavily but he is sweating so heavily he looks like he has just got out of a pool.