50th straight victory on grass

28.06.2007 | Tennis

Roger won his 50th straight match on grass, beating Juan Martin Del Potro 6-2, 7-5, 6-1 to reach the third round at Wimbledon.

He had led 2-0 in the third set before rain halted play yesterday. When they resumed, Roger needed only 11 minutes to complete the match, winning three straight games before Del Potro held serve in the sixth game.

Roger broke the Argentine five times and saved the only break point he faced. The four-time defending champion finished with 33 winners and made only 23 errors - one less than Del Potro.

"It was done quickly like I was hoping, but I was ready to go five sets in case," said Roger. "Fifty is a great number to achieve. I'm delighted about that but I haven't won the tournament."

Roger will next face Marat Safin. The Russian beat Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi of Pakistan 6-4, 6-2 7-6 (4).

"He's always a player who can upset anybody on any day. I hope he's not going to have one of those crazy good days against me," concluded Roger.

06/29/2007 | 11:19 PM
Dearest Roger,

You did a wonderful job against Safin. Once again I didn't see enough of your match on ESPN but what I did see was fantastic. You have got the first serve working like a dream again and for this I'm thrilled.

Next up is Tommy Haas. He
06/29/2007 | 10:56 PM
What a principesque entrance you made into Center Court, to defeat my fellow countryman Juan Martín Del Potro. I forgive you for crushing him. After all, he has none of your charms and style. But watch out for him. He has talent and guts. :)
Go Rogi!
06/29/2007 | 09:48 PM
I saw you at Wimbledon on the practice courts and was so please to see you playing up close. Just watched your match against Safin - you were brilliant! Well done.xx
06/29/2007 | 09:47 PM
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!! What an exciting match, you both played so well.
Congratulations on winning and good luck for the next round.
Camille
06/29/2007 | 09:36 PM
Congratulations Roger!
Beatiful style, wonderfull "dance" on the grass....
We love You:-)
06/29/2007 | 09:36 PM
you were extremely great roger!!!
safin was playing good as well but he just cant level........
that was the roger game!!!

kisssssss :*
congratulations!!!
06/29/2007 | 09:30 PM
Your game in the grass is unbelieveable . It gives so much peasure to watch. It is beyond the descriptions.You look like you are dancing in the court where as other players don't even know how to step on the stage. Keep it up that way CHAMP.
06/29/2007 | 09:25 PM
Dear Roger!
No wonder, you are the GREATEST!!! Congratulations, lovely one! :)
06/29/2007 | 09:24 PM
Dear Roger,
To win in straight sets under those conditions/delay was amazing. So glad I saw it live. Congratulations.
Debra
06/29/2007 | 09:23 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT match against Safin!!!!