Roger in fourth round

29.06.2007 | Tennis

Roger defeated Marat Safin 6-1, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) to register his 51st grass court win in a row and will now face experienced German Tommy Haas, who put out Russia's Dmitry Tursunov, for a quarter-final spot.

"I don't know if I played phenomenal, I just think I played the right way against Marat today," said Roger. "I really kept the balls in play, served well when I had to, moved well, returned pretty good."

The world number one broke in the fourth game of the first set and a combination of some over-hitting on the groundstrokes by Safin and some tricky changes of speed by Roger allowed the him to steam to a convincing lead. Safin fought back early in the second and even broke serve. But the defending champion seemed unperturbed. He broke back immediately and again in the seventh game, prompting some characteristic racket-throwing from the volatile Russian before Roger nailed the set with an ace. The third set went with serve and in the tiebreak Safin's forehand volley into the net gave Roger a mini-break and he served out the remainder to take it 7-4.

"I was very pleased with the performance because I knew the danger against Marat," concluded Roger.

07/01/2007 | 10:12 PM
I'd really like to know what Roger thoght of that withdrawal. Roger, you would have beaten him in straight sets anyway! Neither Ferrero nor Tipsarevic are grass-court specialists but you still have to be careful. Play your game and you will win. You are b
07/01/2007 | 09:43 PM
lovely my dear...

once you begin a GRAND SLAM tournament, and you reach the fourth round, when you are not the best player in the world... you dont pull out of a tournament with a fake injury. It nonsense. Very different than the situation with Roger,
07/01/2007 | 08:36 PM
You are the best...good luck...I'm sure that you going to win wimbledon again, again, again and again, and you will broke all the records in grass of Pete Sampras and Bjong Bjorg....you are simply the BEST....
07/01/2007 | 08:31 PM
Delighted to hear that you have a walkover into the quarters.
Good luck
Camille
07/01/2007 | 08:22 PM
Bonzie that's hilarious. Jensen thought walk-over Fish was gonna stop nadal but he's giving opinions on the Roddick Fed meeting.
07/01/2007 | 07:51 PM
David,

Haas hasn't got something wrong with his leg he has a torn stomach muscle from his match with Dimitry, And how is it that you believed Haas with this injury yet you wouldn't believe when roger said he had a thigh injury funny that.

janell.

07/01/2007 | 07:01 PM
Hey Roger

Great victory, always taking the game to a new level without trying, keep going!!! Hope you can win Wimbledon again, for the 4th time? Congrats!!!!!!!!
07/01/2007 | 06:44 PM
i wa sooooooo tensed about your match.i badly wanted you to win in straight sets,roger!congrats beforehand for your 5th consecutive wimbledon!:D
07/01/2007 | 06:41 PM
I just read thru some of your messages and found out that tommy Haas has pulled out of play because of an injury. Sorry to hear this and I hope he will be better soon. I would like to know who you will face instead. Perhaps some of the others could clue m
07/01/2007 | 06:22 PM
J'ai juste lu que Tommy Haas a retiré du tournoi. Ceci le rend facile à obtenir au prochain rond ! Chance de Bood avec qui que ce soit que vous jouez après.