Roger stopped in the final

12.08.2007 | Tennis

Unfortunately Roger lost his Montreal final against Novak Djokovic 7-6 (7-2), 2-6, 7-6 (7-2) on Sunday. Roger stood 4-0 career against the 20-year-old Serb coming into the contest, and had lifted Toronto trophies in 2004 and 2006. Today his 16-match win streak was ended by the strong youngster.

Roger looked to take command when he rebounded from a 0-40 deficit to win five straight points for a 6-5 lead, but Djokovic came straight back from down 0-40 and fight off six set points before tying the set on his fourth break point. The 20-year-old won the tiebreaker easily as our star continued to struggle in the wind, particularly on his cross-court shots. He was down 0-40 again four games into the second set and again battled back to win, but Rogr broke for a 4-2 lead and broke again to finish the set.

Djokovic broke back to open the third and Roger looked like he would bow out quietly, failing to win a point on the Serb's first three service games. But a run of errors let Roger break back to tie it 4-4 and set up a decisive tiebreaker. But it was once again Djokovic who dominated the tiebreaker, ending it with a drop shot followed by a lob over our former title holder that fell inside the line. Roger's attempted return through his legs struck the net.

Roger remains tied with Becker for ninth place all-time at 49 career tournament victories. He has been ranked No. 1 a record 184 consecutive weeks since 2004.

08/16/2007 | 08:30 AM
just chillax,roger!look,forget about montreal and think about the us open.but before that you can make for your loss in cincinnati if you want.

SEALED WITH A KISS
08/16/2007 | 08:13 AM
Hi Roger,

Hey, just heard that you won your first round match in Cincy: well done! Also heard that the other two top three guys lost...Which just brings me to make this point: your consistency level is amazing! Yes, so you lose a few matches here and t
08/16/2007 | 07:16 AM
Dear Roger, thanx for a yet another great game in Montreal. It was another work of art. You did great. Best of luck at US Open. Ariuka from Mongolia /which is in Asia, btw/. We all love you here.
08/16/2007 | 06:13 AM
hi my sweet!!!

u look good today ha!... i saw ur game before i leave for office...
seeing u is simply the best thing to start my day!

another great game!... Benneteau can hardly reach his game!

God bless u always!

kiss
08/16/2007 | 05:36 AM
well.. just go for 50 at Cincinnati,.... we'll always be here supporting you all the way...
08/16/2007 | 05:15 AM
Dear Roger
You lost opportunity in the first set,Otherwise you are the champion.I couldn't fall asleep after watching.I don't know how to express my mood.But Ibelieve you'll win the final in Cincy.What a petty i can't watch the match as I will be on the
08/16/2007 | 05:13 AM
Dear Roger
You lost opportunity in the first set,Otherwise you are the champion.I couldn't fall asleep after watching.I don't know how to express my mood.But Ibelieve you'll win the final in Cincin.What a petty i can't watch the match as I will be on th
08/16/2007 | 04:39 AM
Hi people,

I just found out why.

Everyone knows guys like Joker and Rafa play their guts out on court. So see what happens at first round in Cinncy? They're out.

I've wondered why Roger seemed to be so indifferent during and after Montreal's fina
08/16/2007 | 04:04 AM
Hi Dearest Roger
Congratulation :))))))
Good Luck and Best Wishes ?)
08/16/2007 | 03:08 AM
A3mulder, how right you are about Roger playing the most beautiful tennis. Watching his match tonight against Benneteau there were some simply gorgeous shots and he did a very efficient job in closing out at 6-3,6-3. What more can we ask for in our ten