A fantastic finish

04.09.2007 | Tennis

Roger overcame a spirited opponent in Feliciano Lopez to advance to the quarter-finals of the US Open in last evening’s night-session. He lost the first set, barely won the second, and trailed love-40 to start the third. But then Roger did the sort of remarkable thing that only our hero does: He won the next 35 points he served.

Answering every question Lopez posed with an exclamation point, Roger took control of the third set and the match, coming back to win 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, 6-4 in the fourth round at Flushing Meadows.

"He is a fantastic player I just hung in there and hoped he didn't keep playing so well," said Roger of Lopez after the match. With this victory, he has set up a tantalising quarter-final clash with former champ Andy Roddick. He is 13-1 against Roddick, but Roger’s comment was: "it's a great record, but it doesn't help me. We’ll see how it goes. Andy's always tough at the U.S. Open."

09/06/2007 | 08:01 AM
Dearest Roger,

To be honest, words fail me! You were marvelous tonight against Andy Roddick. You just did everything you needed to and I'm over the moon.

Next up, Davydenko in the semis. Just play your beautiful game and we will see you in the fi
09/06/2007 | 07:59 AM
Great job on defeating Roddick. I just wished I was seeing it live, not just reading it or waiting for the replay!

Luv yah todo-todo!
09/06/2007 | 07:39 AM
Congrats Roger!!!!!
09/06/2007 | 07:10 AM
Roger,

I can't blame the tennis experts, the media, the fans and everyone for predicting you will do it again against Andy Roddick. I really can't blame them. You have shown them again how you will repeat the past encounters with Andy. You're so GREAT
09/06/2007 | 07:02 AM
the federer express is on!!!, good luck on semis at USOpen, ul b d champion & ur 4th in a row...q_u_i_n_g :-)
09/06/2007 | 07:00 AM
you just made my day darling. Go get Davy next. We are confident that you'll get it all the way. whoever it is.
from a girl in thailand.
09/06/2007 | 06:53 AM
congratulation for Q-final.keep it up.best wishes
09/06/2007 | 06:39 AM
Kia Ora Roger,
You are a COOL CUCUMBER!! Firstly Congratulations for a fine win over Andy. How you kept your composure in the second set when Andy was running on this pent up adrenalin, I just don't know. The contrast in your demeanour next to Andy was j
09/06/2007 | 06:29 AM
what else to expect?!.... congratulations to the best!!! Rodick is fantastic player too, but too hard to take the chance winning against world's no. 1

no one deserve the trophy more than u!!!....
just few more steps.... we wish u all the best

God
09/06/2007 | 06:27 AM
Congrats Roger....
What perfect play against A.Roddick.You were moving so well....
Ofcourse the 1st serve & a few unforced errors didn't create much ripple.
Good luck in the next match against Davidenko