Sunday: Last chance

22.09.2007 | Tennis

Roger lost at doubles with Swiss teammate Yves Allegro today, giving the Czech Republic a 2-1 lead in their Davis Cup playoff.

Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek saved a match point in the third set before winning 3-6, 5-7, 7-6 (7), 6-4, 6-4 to put the Czechs one victory from a spot in next year's World Group. The loser drops to a regional zone.

The best-of-five series will be decided in Sunday's reverse singles when Roger faces Berdych and Stanislas Wawrinka takes on Stepanek.

Roger is making his 2007 debut in the Davis Cup for Switzerland, which has been part of the 16-team World Group since 1995. The Czechs were relegated to a regional group once after losing to Germany 3-2 in 2005.

The Czechs made a late change to replace originally nominated pair Martin Damm and Lukas Dlouhy. Instead, they used their two best players to face Roger and Yves.

The Swiss pair broke Stepanek for a 4-2 lead in the first set and finished it with Roger serving an ace on the fast indoor carpet at Sazka Arena. In the second, Berdych dropped his serve in the 11th game and Allegro then served out the set.

The Czechs came close to breaking Roger in the ninth game of the third set and took a 40-0 lead, but our top-ranked player used his serve to save the game. The Swiss were trailing again 4-2 in the tiebreaker before coming back to waste a match point at 6-5. The Czechs finally came back, converting their second set point.

In the fourth set, Yves Allegro double-faulted to give the Czechs an early 2-1 lead. The Czechs broke Allegro for the second time to go ahead 4-3 in the final set and went on to build a 5-3 lead before Berdych won with a serve Roger failed to return.

09/23/2007 | 08:19 PM
sorry for the loss, but do not get too emotional, i know that u have tried very hard. just forget about it . be fresh and get ready for the Tokyo. defend your title. always pray for u to win every match.
09/23/2007 | 07:40 PM
dear fans,
im working on an essay about " how to prepare for a tennis match", it should be a process analysis.. so, if anyone has detailed info about the topic and wants to help plz contant me on madadsarah_se@hotmail.com, to give u more details about t
09/23/2007 | 07:05 PM
Dear Roger,
I am very sorry that you and Yves could not convert your match point because it ended up causing you to lose the tie. God willing, another victory in Tokyo will ease the pain of getting knocked out of the World Group.
Best wishes,
-Julius
09/23/2007 | 06:03 PM
Roger, you've done your part but Stan's finding the going tough. I hope he can pull through!
09/23/2007 | 05:40 PM
Good job, Roger.I had forgot my password and i had to change my profile. but i stii Andra-90. You are the king. Our king!!
09/23/2007 | 04:35 PM
Outstanding pix of Roger - DC thread inside, begin pg 75. You can see how much his victory meant to him. Congratulations! (Go Stan!)
09/23/2007 | 04:31 PM
Hi Roger. Davis cup is kinda tricky because of course I'm pulling for the u.s., but since you aren't playing us at the moment, I can pull for you and the Swiss. I really hope that one of these days when being number one is not such a pressing issue wi
09/23/2007 | 04:18 PM
Never mind about the result. You r the best, and you group is also the best !!!
Come on !!! +.+
09/23/2007 | 02:30 PM
What a pity!
I'm so nervous for Swiss!
I hope you'll beat Berdych and Wawrinka'll defeat Stepanek1
Hope Swiss win finally!
Good luck!
09/23/2007 | 01:44 PM
I trust - if the victory is necessary to you - You win!!!