Semis: here we come

23.01.2008 | Tennis

Roger mastered American James Blake for an eighth straight time to claim a 7-5, 7-6(5), 6-4 win in two hours to march into Friday's semi-final against Novak Djokovic.

Both players exchanged service breaks early in the opening set and Blake was in the match before a forehand error on set point handed Roger the first set. It was the same again in the second with services exchanged but Blake came under pressure on his service and fought off break points in the eighth and two set points in the 10th before the set went to a tiebreaker - going to Roger in the end.

Roger eventually held two match points and clinched victory when Blake's backhand sailed over the baseline at the end of the third set. "James is such a great player, hits some incredible shots and he's so dangerous on any point, he's improved a lot over the last few years," Roger said after the match.

The victory keeps alive Roger's drive to win the first Grand Slam of the year for the third consecutive time and pull within one of Pete Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slam titles. "It's great to be on top of the game for so long and be compared to the greats like Rod Laver and Sampras," Roger said. His comment to the upcoming match against Djokovic, Roger commented: "He's done a phenomenal job, four semi-finals of Grand Slams at his age, I was never close to that at his age, he's improved so much in the last couple of years and it's exciting playing the best in the world".

01/25/2008 | 02:46 PM
it's me again. Dear rog i wanna wish u love, HEALTH and happiness! God bless u
01/25/2008 | 02:25 PM
i don't care you couldn't beat djokovic, you're the champ cause you're the best player and you'll always be. Love. keep going like you know
01/25/2008 | 02:23 PM
it's okay roger sometimes we have very bad moments. but honestly i have already high doubts about you winning this tourney due to your accumulation of ue's and your failure to convert many many breakpoints and setpoints, proving you're way below your stan
01/25/2008 | 02:06 PM
Because you are so amazing, we have all grown accustomed to your insanely high standards. It is time we leave you to play freely without the constant burden of having to win all the time. Here's wishing you the best of luck and health, Roger. Hugs. Mini
01/25/2008 | 02:03 PM
Dear Roger- first of all, a huge hug to you. Pls don't lose any sleep over today's loss- nothing to worry about because you know you are capable of playing much better than you did today. It is a pity things didn't seem to be clicking right today- but it
01/25/2008 | 01:57 PM
we feel as bad my dear roger................

we wish we could be with you to let you know that its okay

you make me happy just everytime i see u........ and you make me crazy when you are already there doing your best in the game, everytime...

i
01/25/2008 | 01:42 PM
keep the foundation.
It is your foundation that you want to found.
your win...
We will not worry for a long time.
Because I believe that one defeat will bring many improvements...

one of your fans,
01/25/2008 | 01:35 PM
Dear Rog,
I thought myself, if you are going to final, then I'm not going to write here even though I'm still so much fan of yours. Your winning is usual thing for us but losing is not. So, I write now.
I didn't see the whole match but I saw the last s
01/25/2008 | 01:32 PM
Dear Rog,
I didn't see the whole match but I saw the last s
01/25/2008 | 01:18 PM
Kia Ora Roger,
I'm so sad and disappointed for you, for I believe a great opportunity was missed in that crucial first set when you were up a break and up 30-love on serve! Not to worry Roger, it was not meant to be, just look at the Women's final and th