Only one more step to go!

17.05.2008 | Tennis

Roger has reached the final of the Hamburg Masters Series tournament after seeing off Andreas Seppi today: 6-3, 6-1!

It was Roger's 30th match in Hamburg and his 29th victory since 2002. He showed an impressive performance, fighting off all break-points his Italian opponent saw. He never allowed Seppi to settle and having dominated throughout, Roger made a break for the third and final time in the second set to claim the win in 79 minutes.

"It was quite a long first set and I created a lot of opportunities which wore him down for the second," said Roger. "The clay was quite wet and heavy, which meant it was good for the drop shots and Seppi used that tactice with some nice shots."

Our champ has not dropped a set on his way to the final and has yet to play a seeded player. His opponent will be the winner of the show-down between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic - which is bound to be an interesting match! Roger beat Nadal in last year's final, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0, to break the Spaniards 81-match winning streak.

05/18/2008 | 09:47 PM
Hi Rogerholics,

Understandably, we are all smarting from the disappointing results today. I actually posted my reactions on the previous news item, however, I would like to reiterate some points if I may.

Firstly, I would encourage you guys to rea
05/18/2008 | 08:15 PM
Wow, thanks Net_coach that was quite and incisive and in-depth assessment of Roger's game on clay.

We also look forward to TonyN's assessement of Roger's effort today.
05/18/2008 | 08:05 PM
Hi Rogerholics,

This is my disclaimer: don't attack me for what I'm about to say. It's all being said out of the utmost respect and admiration for Roger.

First of all, I did not see the match. Secondly, I found your comments very interesting. Som
05/18/2008 | 07:34 PM
Good effort by Roger but today was not his day. To lose a match after being up 5-1 in the first set and then fighting back to win a tie-breaker in the second set, only to lose in the third through some questionnable shot selections, is rather discomforti
05/18/2008 | 07:34 PM
WHO are all these people, signing up as members on this site and therefore claiming to be Roger's fans, telling him to "forget about RG" etc.?

Ok if you guys are vain Nadal/Djok fans, first of all, go spend some time writing positive thoughts about yo
05/18/2008 | 07:27 PM
Please take the following comments as constructive criticism. I am perplex by your tactic against Nadal. You seem to concentrate so much on his backhand that you limit yourself to only a quarter of court to hit the ball while Nadal camps on his backhand
05/18/2008 | 07:26 PM
Roger, I really don't know what to say... I mean 5:1 in the 1st set, two set points and then 7:5 for Nadal... What the hell?! Btw, I thought Nadal is injured or something... How could he play so well for 3 hours? Is he becoming Djokovic #2? It's so unfair
05/18/2008 | 07:26 PM
Hi Rog,
Thanks for the great birthday party!
The match was close again, you came back in the 2nd set and tried your best in the third. What more could be said about playing the best terre battue player the world has ever seen?
You know I wish you woul
05/18/2008 | 07:26 PM
Tilou, thanks about the commentator's name.

And you said it! Roger IS so very empathetic. He really needs to be told this. I hope Mirka or his dad or somebody will suddenly realize this and tell him to become a little bit more thick-skinned on court.
05/18/2008 | 07:23 PM
Hey 1Fedfan,

Its just a teensy part of me wondering how much we should be blaming Nadal. I'm still almost a 100% convinced that he's guilty though -- his reactions after the match and his unusual quiet demeanor have given him away, I think. What a sli