An impressive display

31.05.2008 | Tennis

Roger produced another of his masterclasses today to brush aside the challenge of Mario Ancic at the French Open: 6-3, 6-4, 6-2.

"I'm happy with the way I'm playing. I haven't lost much energy in the first week and I'm happy to get through and to give myself an opportunity," said Roger after the match. "I'm happy to be in the fourth round and to be the favourite."

Ancic hardly played poorly, yet he was still a class apart from our champ who, on this form, could well challenge reigning three-time champion Rafael Nadal for the title.

Roger broke Ancic in the fourth game of the first set and wrapped up the opener with an ace in the ninth game. In the second set the break came in the seventh game and in the third set Roger broke in the first game. He served two love service games on his way to a 3-1 lead and broke again to go 4-1 in the third as Ancic struggled in vain to stem the free-flowing hitting of the top seed. The pair exchanged a break apiece before Roger claimed victory in an hour and 36 minutes.

Roger will play France's Julien Benneteau, a winner over Robin Söderling of Sweden, for a place in the quarterfinals.

06/02/2008 | 08:35 PM
Gonzalez is not easy???????? however roger is 9 of 10 against him.
Please be real
06/02/2008 | 07:34 PM
YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!
You don´t play well but still win...
Lets go for the next!

I believe in GOD and I believe in YOU.

GO ROGER GO!

With all my love......Alma
06/02/2008 | 07:30 PM
Congratulations Roger
U win that is good news but in Gonzalez it is not easy, U have 2 do UR best to beat him N join in semifinals if Allaah said.
Good Luck
06/02/2008 | 07:19 PM
TOOOOOOO JAAAAAAAA!!!! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE ON THE WORLD!!!! YEIII! KEEP ON, ROGER!!! *******
**********
*************-
06/02/2008 | 07:00 PM
Hello Rogerholics:

So happy that Roger won and so pissed off that the tv station didn't show us the 3rd set. But, anyway, I am happy too for Safina and even happier that the mad screaming Sharapova got booed off court (probably 'cos she didn't even bo
06/02/2008 | 06:52 PM
So.....a learning experience today and you got the job done. It wasn't pretty but the rain was again a problem.

Serve. Your first serve. The rest of your game follows. But that is hard in a monsoon. It doesn't help with the errors category either t
06/02/2008 | 06:36 PM
amarc57 - I'm so happy that Dinara beat Maria - used to like her, but can't stand the shreiking and posturing, the father, and her sitting in Djerko's box at US Open!!

Hope Ivanovic loses to Patty Schnyder (little Swiss magician) and Jankovic (always p
06/02/2008 | 06:35 PM
Hello Rogerholics friends
Just a bit of news other than tennis, Yves St Laurent passed away last night. It is a very big lost for France.

***********************************************
***GO ROGER GO (c’est INOUÏ : c’est FEDERESQUE)***
************
06/02/2008 | 06:26 PM
Roger's post match interview is now posted on the RG site

***********************************************
***GO ROGER GO (c’est INOUÏ : c’est FEDERESQUE)***
***********************************************
06/02/2008 | 06:15 PM
For all players it is their privilege to play againts #1 player, and known for the best of the best. Roger has to face almost all his opponent who are always inspired, and naturally motivated to play against one of the greatest in reality. But, guys pleas