Strong start on grass

11.06.2008 | Tennis

Roger ran his win streak on grass to 55 matches today with a 6-4, 6-2 win against Germany's Michael Berrer at the Gerry Weber Open.

Our champ gave up just one point on his serve in the first set and eventually broke Berrer in the ninth game. He then broke his opponent again in the first and fifth game of the second set before saving one sole break point at 4-1. He never looked back, wrapping up the one-sided encounter with his 11th ace and winning his 21st straight match at Halle, a streak that began in 2003. Roger’s first four Wimbledon titles came after he won in Halle.

He will face Czech qualifier Jan Vacek in the next round on Thursday. The two players have never met before.

06/12/2008 | 06:00 PM
Fans,
Just in case you don't already know: there is a new ATP segment for Roger's win over Vacek. Time to move!
06/12/2008 | 05:29 PM
***Sheleo, thanks for your reply. However, it looks like Roger himself thinks that the Wimbledon court has slowed down (please see my earlier post), so I am still wondering when it happened (if in fact it happened) and what were the official reasons give
06/12/2008 | 05:22 PM
jaan - though Roger should prevail over Santoro, he could also disrupt Roger's rhythm for the next match.
06/12/2008 | 05:12 PM
I also had problem with the live score, it stop when federer was 4-3: I will try bet365 tomorrow thanks to all the fan that share with us the game.
06/12/2008 | 05:12 PM
Tilou, AWESOME! Thanks for the article!

boting: thanks for the mini quotes.

Roger mentioned that he didn't play well enough. I rest my case.

I was not criticizing Roger, but hoping for a better effort next round (from reading some of the posts)
06/12/2008 | 05:08 PM
***jaan***I agree that the "Magician" can pose a problem for many other players, Blake, for example, with his variety of oddball shots. However, the last time I saw Roger play him, he only took a couple games off him. Roger made him look like he was a p
06/12/2008 | 05:05 PM
THIS IF FOR TILOH AND THE REST OF THE
FANS WHO ARE INTERESTED
DID NOT YOU READ MY EXPLANATION ON
PAGE 14 STRANGE WE DONT NEED SUCH
LONG ARTICLES BECAUSE LAST WIMBLEDON
THE SURFACE WAS ALREADY SLOW
THIS IS DONE TO GIVE CLAY COURTS PLAYERS MORE CHANC
06/12/2008 | 05:01 PM
Thanks, Fedex100, for excerpts from Roger's Australian interview and Andy Roddick's comments. It's great to read both.

I think both Roger and Roddick were speaking from their hearts, and we have to give Roddick a lot of credit. He's always such a str
06/12/2008 | 05:00 PM
Sheleo:

Hi!

Santoro is a problem -- his game can frustrate anybody, and if Federer doesn't play his natural game, he can pose a problem but not enough to win. All in all, Federer should prevail in 2 sets.
06/12/2008 | 04:58 PM
***Fans, I found where I had heard that Roger thinks that the Wimbledon surface has slowed down, please find the article extracts below. So, if anyone has any more info, I would appreciate it. I do know that, if in fact a change occurred, it has occurr