A terrific start

23.06.2008 | Tennis

Roger celebrated his 60th victory in series on grass today! He launched his bid for a record sixth successive Wimbledon title in blistering style with a 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 against Slovakia's Dominik Hrbaty today.

"I could't ask for a better start," said Roger, 39-4 at Wimbledon. "I was consistent all the way and didn't face a break point. I have not lost my serve so far this summer on grass (after winning the Halle title). It's tough opening as the first match but it could not have gone better for me." He won 12 out of the first 13 points, hit a total of ten aces and scored 31 service points, playing convincingly at the net and with his slice.

Our star raced through the first two sets in just 58 minutes and then reeled off five straight games to lead 5-1 in the third. The 30-year-old Hrbaty, making his 12th consecutive appearance here, held on to trail 2-5 and then won warm applause from the crowd when he spent the changeover chatting amicably to his opponent on the seat next to the champion. The two are close friends having played doubles together and practised regularly. "Dominik came over and said do I mind if he sat next to me. He said it might be his last Wimbledon. I said it was OK," explained Roger.

Next up is Robin Söderling (SWE), against whom Roger has won all six encounters so far - once Söderling was only two points from victory, though (in Halle).

06/25/2008 | 10:29 PM
hey idol...

good start!! i hope u totally kill nadal at the finals!!!!

kim
06/25/2008 | 10:26 PM
yanastd - Gicquel just won, so Roger doesn't have to face the big-serving 6'4" Bozoljac.

It seemed that Gicquel played very well, with 16 aces and only 8 UE in a 5-set match!!
06/25/2008 | 08:59 PM
Can anyone see the match of the next opponent of Roger now? This another Serb Bozoljak seems to be dangerous. I can't see the match, I just see the numbers. What do you think?
06/25/2008 | 08:48 PM
First time I ever so Djoko humble and talk in a subtle kind of way without arrogance. Answering questions from a reporter, he was so beat up and said it was a bad day at the office. He really underestimated Safin because he said that he has lost being the
06/25/2008 | 08:01 PM
Federer is going on. Where is Djoko? Look Djoko, who is vulnerable now?

Federer wins against Soderling. The last set was nerve-racking. Soderling was ahead 5-3. Then he turned to a pussy cat and lost his serve game. Federer came back and took the set
06/25/2008 | 07:58 PM
Congratulations Roger!

You were fabulous today! Great win again in straight sets.

This is a very happy day for you and for us, your fans. Could not be better|
06/25/2008 | 07:52 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Win #61 for our Champ!!

A little tense there in the 3rd, but coming through like a champion!!

Fans, did you see the tribute to Roger by AELTC? What a classy thing to do - I'm sure in part prompted by the negative press that Roger's b
06/25/2008 | 07:51 PM
CONGRATULATION ROGER:
SORRY IT WAS NOT 59 CONSECUTIVE MATCHES, NOW IT 61, WITH YOUR WIN TO SODERLING, GREAT ROGER,
KEEP GOING AND ACHIVING MORE RECOGNITION IN YOUR TENIS, THE BEST IN WINBLEDON, THAT'S YOUR DOMAINS!
06/25/2008 | 07:50 PM
7-6 - AND FEDERER HAS THE MATCH - he wins 7-3 on the breaker and on his second match point. A brave effort from Soderling but Federer was just too good today. Super stuff from the world number one.