40th victory in Wimbledon

25.06.2008 | Tennis

Roger marched into the third round of Wimbledon today after handling Robin Soderling in straight sets 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (3).

"I'm happy with how I played," Roger said. "It was difficult to see the ball with the low afternoon sun. I'm moving well and even though I was broken for the first time on grass in 2008, I had an excellent performance. I hope to build on it."

Our champ pounded out 15 aces against the overmatched Söderling and committed no single double-fault, showing a complete control over his serve and tallying just 16 unforced errors. The same couldn’t be said for Söderling whose 30 unforced errors crippled any opportunity he may have had coming in. Roger dropped his first serve of the season on grass though, but saved the final set in great manner.

Roger’s next match on Friday will be either against France’s Marc Gicquel (ATP 53) or Serbia’s Ilja Bozoljac (ATP 197).

06/27/2008 | 09:07 PM
If anyone's interested, there are two very high-quality matches going on right now: Safin versus Seppi and Ancic versus Ferrer-- exciting stuff!!
06/27/2008 | 08:28 PM
Hey guys, just to tell you that there is a new segment for Roger's victory today.
Time to move!
06/27/2008 | 07:37 PM
***J-S-M***I almost did, too. She was so unlucky with the net on match point as well as when her hat fell off. I've liked her since last U.S. Open when I saw her live with Safina. Such a slender player, it's amazing she plays so well!

I guess you an
06/27/2008 | 07:18 PM
***sheleo
Dechy deserved to win. I could have cried for her. Now Ivanovic lost and it's crazy.
06/27/2008 | 06:44 PM
***JEUX-SET-MATCH***Agree 100% about Ana and Justine and Roger! Really, Ivanovic in my mind lost the match to Dechy, just got very lucky. Dechy played wonderfully!
06/27/2008 | 06:41 PM
Ivanovic does not have the game of a #1 player. Justine was a real #1. Now when you think of Roger #1 man it is almost a joke to have Ivanovic as #1 woman..
06/27/2008 | 06:32 PM
Amazing match, Roger! You showed some great tennis! Keep up that way!
Btw, I love your cardigan, It's beautiful! :)
Good luck in the 4th round!
All the best,
Dina
06/27/2008 | 06:27 PM
Congratulations Roger you played a fantastic match l like to see you as the BEST. Good luck for the next match...
06/27/2008 | 06:25 PM
***Mitz***That last comment was directed to you, of course!

Wow, Ivanovic is getting clobbered by Zheng! She's certainly having a rough tournament.
06/27/2008 | 06:16 PM
***pokah22***Looks like your wish re Serena and Amelie is coming true-- turning into a very tight match!

***What I wouldn't give to catch Roger-- he he-- sorry, Mirka!!!