Roger right on track

27.06.2008 | Tennis

Roger was at his irresistible best today as he eased past Frenchman Marc Gicquel in straight sets in the first match on Centre Court: 6-3, 6-3, 6-1.

"The conditions were difficult again against a tricky opponent who played very aggressively," Roger said. "The wind was swirling and I got down a break early and had to rally back but I think I played really well. Not losing a set (so far) is always nice and I get a couple of days off now and hopefully I will play as well again next week."

Our champ looked to have been caught cold after a 90-minute rain delay as he lost his serve in the opening game of the match, but instantly broke back to level the score. Gicquel, the world number 53, was not initially overawed by the occasion and saved a break point in the fourth game, but eventually the unforced errors mounted as Roger also began to find his rhythm, looking capable of raising his game whenever required and wrapped up the victory in 81 minutes.

Roger will take on Lleyton Hewitt - holder of the title in Wimbledon before Roger took over the crown - in the fourth round on “Marvelous Monday”.

06/30/2008 | 08:23 PM
I dont care about Nadal I am just hoping for a beautiful final Roger/Gasquet. What a treat!!!
06/30/2008 | 08:20 PM
Willson:

You are right. We all in our hearts know that there is no putting brakes on Nadal. And we have yet to see a superb display of Fed's shot-making repertoire. I just hope that along the way, there is somebody who does enough damage to his wheels.
06/30/2008 | 08:19 PM
I am very impressed by Murray. He is not losing it like he usually does.
Richard must stay focus and finish in 3 sets
06/30/2008 | 08:16 PM
Hey Guys,
With all due respect, maybe it's time to stop speculating on who will beat Nadal before the final because I don't see it. We have to stop thinking that surrogates will do the dirty work for us.

Nadal might as well book a spot in the final b
06/30/2008 | 08:16 PM
Boting:

We can only hope that Nadal's semifinal match is stretched to 5 sets, and Fed reaches there with 3. I would like to see what Nadal can then come up with besides constant jingling of those abs on the court.
06/30/2008 | 08:12 PM
***J-S-M***Yes, it is refreshing to see strategic thinking, a well-rounded game and very graceful movement from Richard, similar to Roger. Looks like he's gonna make it, even with the crowd DYING for Andy to win.
06/30/2008 | 08:11 PM
It would be wonderful if we could have Gasquet/Fed final. It would be a fair play with plenty of beauty, grace, elegance & invisble power with oohs & aahs ....
06/30/2008 | 08:11 PM
ONE REMARK IF GASQUET MAKES IT
HE CANNOT WINN FROM NADAL
BECAUSE HIS PHYSICAL STRENGTH WILL NOT BE ENOUGH HELAS....
06/30/2008 | 08:07 PM
Richard is playing so well. We can almost hear him think on the court... what a relief to see that this wonderful game of tennis is still plaid on the court and not just by our Roger.
I am sick of Nadal and the image he projects and everybody seem to li
06/30/2008 | 08:05 PM
Safin must be playing pretty good tennis, otherwise Wawrinka is no easy players.